• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No option to change default location of Lightroom Catalog in Lightroom Classic Settings

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just had my pc repaired and upgraded to Windows 10.  I've now got LR Classic installed but want to change the default location where my Lightroom catalog is stored.  In LR when I go into Edit/Preferences the dialog window only gives option to show location of default catalog but no option to specify another location or to open a different catalog.  I've checked the other LR settings dialog window and I don't see anywhere to do this.  Any ideas?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Move the Lightroom catalog and previews folder to ANY folder on ANY hard drive attached to your computer. After you have done that, simply double-click on the catalog (lrcat file) in that location, and Lightroom will start normally and find your images where they have been and Lightroom will function as it has in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Move the Lightroom catalog and previews folder to ANY folder on ANY hard drive attached to your computer. After you have done that, simply double-click on the catalog (lrcat file) in that location, and Lightroom will start normally and find your images where they have been and Lightroom will function as it has in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To complet Jim's answer, create a shortcut to your catalog, and put this shortcut on your desktop. By using on this shortcut, you'll be sure to always open THIS catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's true. But it really shouldn't be necessary if you have the preferences set to load the most recent catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your answers - I've now successfully managed to do it! 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines