Highlighted

Not a missing files problem

New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my Lightroom catalogs has over 25,000 images some are on a cloud storage and accessed via the "C" drive on my PC and some are on an external hard drive.  From the library Catalog I can access all my images and everything that is in a Collection can be viewed but from Folders I have suddenly been unable to view anything via the "C" drive but everything on the external hard drive can be viewed without any issue.

The Folders column shows all the folders and the number of images each folder contains, there is no question mark against any of the folders but in grid view or loupe view the screen just shows the message "no photos in selected Folder".  All filters are switched off and as already stated I can view the images via the Calatog All Photos option and anything in a Collection can be viewed normally.

The problem arose immediately after I exported to hard drive a large number (325) of DNG images as JPEGs.  All these images were in one Collection but in several folders.  With the export the JPEGs should have been saved in the same folder as the DNG but they were all put together in the top Lightroom Photos folder and not the subfolders.  I moved these to the correct folders and ironically I then pick up the query regarding missing photos.  Doing the usual to "find missing photos" sure enough these were found and are now the only images that Folders on C drive recognises.

It would seem that exporting a lot of images together is not a good idea and this has affected how the images are recognised.  Any ideas how to restore Folders to show images.

Many thanks

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Not a missing files problem

New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my Lightroom catalogs has over 25,000 images some are on a cloud storage and accessed via the "C" drive on my PC and some are on an external hard drive.  From the library Catalog I can access all my images and everything that is in a Collection can be viewed but from Folders I have suddenly been unable to view anything via the "C" drive but everything on the external hard drive can be viewed without any issue.

The Folders column shows all the folders and the number of images each folder contains, there is no question mark against any of the folders but in grid view or loupe view the screen just shows the message "no photos in selected Folder".  All filters are switched off and as already stated I can view the images via the Calatog All Photos option and anything in a Collection can be viewed normally.

The problem arose immediately after I exported to hard drive a large number (325) of DNG images as JPEGs.  All these images were in one Collection but in several folders.  With the export the JPEGs should have been saved in the same folder as the DNG but they were all put together in the top Lightroom Photos folder and not the subfolders.  I moved these to the correct folders and ironically I then pick up the query regarding missing photos.  Doing the usual to "find missing photos" sure enough these were found and are now the only images that Folders on C drive recognises.

It would seem that exporting a lot of images together is not a good idea and this has affected how the images are recognised.  Any ideas how to restore Folders to show images.

Many thanks

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"some are on a cloud storage and accessed via the "C" drive"

Explain this part further. How can photos be on a cloud storage and accessed via the C drive?

"It would seem that exporting a lot of images together is not a good idea and this has affected how the images are recognised."

I would not come to that conclusion.

"Any ideas how to restore Folders to show images."

Please show us screen captures.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.

In answer to your first question.  The images are on One Drive, don't ask me the ins and outs of how it works but as you can see from the screen shot it shows C Drive as the location but the images are uploaded to the One Drive cloud and possibly temporarily accessed via the PC C Drive.

You may be right that I haven't arrived at the correct conclusion.  However I could access all the folders, then I did an export of a large number of images and immediately after I couldn't access the images via the folders.

What is your opinion?

Lightroom Folders.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how your operating system allows One Drive to appear as a folder on the C: drive, but that seems to me to be the problem. Maybe someone with more knowledge of One Drive will have a better idea.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your interest but I think you've driven down a blind alley.  One Drive works that way it does on all my PCs and laptops. I have used One Drive with Lightroom for several years without problem.

And note I can view all images in Lightroom by going to Catalog All Images, but it's not really a practical way to start filtering images.  I can also view images that are in Collections.  This is not just viewing thumbnails, I can open images in other modules of Lightroom, just not via the Folders section.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And note I can view all images in Lightroom by going to Catalog All Images, but it's not really a practical way to start filtering images."

There are many ways to get things done. I guess I feel the opposite. I go to All Photographs, that's how I do all my filtering, via keyword and other metadata. I never try to find photos in filters.

But somehow, Lightroom is not communicating properly with your One Drive. I can't explain it further as I don't use One Drive. If you want to try an experiment, find one of these photos in a collection or under All Photographs and then right-click on it and select Go to Folder in Library. One folder in your Folder Panel will be highlighted. Is it the folder you expect, or is some other folder highlighted?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
hughie60 LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried  Go To Folder having highlighted a photo via All Photographs and it goes to correct folder, I've tried this several times.  This convinces me more that it is Lightroom that has the problem. 

As all my folders are arranged by year and then by date I can follow your method of filtering via All Photographs which allows me find stuff in roughly the usual way I search.  That does give me some comfort and I can move the images to new folders that do get recognised, it's a bit laborious but no rush.  I can't be bothered to try and get an answer from Adobe directly.  There's more to life than cataloguing photos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines