Exit

Nvidia GPU almost never used by Lightroom Classic

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Configuration:

I'm on Windows 10 and use (older) Nvidia GeForce 950M (26.21.14.4587) - 2GB (as correctly detected by LR). The performance preferences in LR are set to custom for the graphics processor and the "Use GPU for image processing" is tagged. The GPU is recognised and "Full graphics acceleration is enabled" is shown. I have installed the latest NVIDIA driver (from mid april). Windows 10 Graphics settings are for LR to be at "High Performance" and in the NVIDIA control panel LR is set to be used the "High-performance NVIDIA processor". The other GPU in the system is an intel and it is used for display purposes of my external screen.

The issue:

During LR usage (editing or photomerging for instance) the GPU is almost never used. It only happens that at some rare occations it peaks to 1 or 2% while the CPU is at around 75% all the time.  I'm checking this with the Windows task manager.  No need to mention that LR is lagging a lot, I also get sometimes a black screen. Photoshop is doing a better job using the NVIDIA GPU (I never get a black screen there with the same files and it runs smoother).

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size (in pixels) is your monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2560x1440

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU is most helpful with 4K or larger monitors. It might be that although Lightroom recognizes your GPU, it doesn't find much for the GPU to do with smaller than 4K monitors. Maybe you should turn it off and see if the lag issues go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the intel GPU for display (which is fine) but would like to use the NVIDIA GPU for image processing (which doesn't seem to work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, turn OFF the GPU. Go to Preferences, Performance Tab, and then set "Use Graphics Processor" to OFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried it but it doesn't seem to make any changes. I've made an HDR to check:

CPU: 50-60%, GPU: 0% (peaks to 1.8% at the very end).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the GPU off, you are saying that the problem of lag does not go away?

Are you doing lots of local adjustments on a photo when this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say that with GPU off option I don't see that the NVIDIA GPU is used for calculations which I would expect when running operations like merging HDR. Only the CPU is used. I haven't tried to retouch an entire photo, yet, to check the lagging.

Again, Photoshop uses the NVIDIA GPU and it is much faster than without. I don't get it why Lightroom won't do the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does different things than Lightroom, and is programmed differently under the hood. Since your monitor is less than 4K, I expect its normal that the GPU is not used extensively, or even not at all, by Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "I also get sometimes a black screen".

My first thought is to check your computer components, disks, ram modules etc.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk: 2TB SSD (1TB free), Ram: 32GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK when someone says they got a black screen they may mean that their computer crashed, which required them to reboot.

If that is not what you were experiencing you can check the article in the link below for info on what your expectations when you have GPU turned.

https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"when someone says they got a black screen they may mean that their computer crashed"

On Windows, it's a blue screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My comuter doesn't crash. I get a temporary black screen and then it gets back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the link in my earlier post for info on what you should expect out of GPU use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During editing you should only see the GPU spike when you are heavily thrashing the sliders about. Otherwise it only spikes. Try running an enhance details on a big MP raw file. You should see the GPU pegged at 100% for a short while. I don't think HDR or panorama merging is GPU enhanced but I might be wrong (not behinf my editing computer at the moment so can't check). Enhance details certainly is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct! Enhance detail uses GPU at 100%. 🙂

No hurry but I would appreciate if you would let me know if HDR and panorama is GPU enhanced and, if not, if this will be implemented. What about local adjusments? Are they GPU enhanced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just tested and panorama stitching is all done on the CPU and not the GPU. HDR is likely the same. No clue when that would be implemented on the GPU and not immediately clear it would be a speed advantage. I am sure Adobe is working on doing this but not clear it is a major priority for them. If you want to add your voice to doing this, the way to getfeedback to actual adobe engineers (we are just other users helping each other out here) go to https://feedback.photoshop.com where actual engineers look for bug reports and suggestions.

Local adjustments are now GPU enhanced indeed. They weren't a few years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nowhere in the above do I see an inquiry into your GPU driver version.

Anyhow,

1. As you have an NVIDIA GPU, use the NVIDIA Utility called GeForce Experience to check for and install the latest GPU driver. WHen you install a new driver, select the Custom option, that will cause a clean install.

2. See the following article for a tip on improving GPU performance in Lightroom Classic. Warning, this will ramp up power consumption, might not be so nice to Laptops, All-In-Ones, and any low voltage CPU rigs:

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines