• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Odd behaviour when using WB picker with profiles other than Adobe ones

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use the WB picker after applying a non Adobe profile to the image, the WB picker seems to do its job always referring to the RGB values that the image would present in the point I clicked if it had applied an Adobe profile. A demonstration of this can be found by looking at the RGB values shown in the loupe of the WB picker: after clicking on a point with the non Adobe profile active, RGB values in that point remain unbalanced. But if I change profile and I come back selecting an Adobe profile, I can see that the RGB values in the point I made click "magically" match (are balanced). 
Can anyone explain why this happens?
Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to make a hypothesis on my own: Adobe profiles are the foundation of raw rendering therefore they're always used. Adobe profiles don't allow the use of the opacity slider. Others do. This makes me think non Adobe profiles are managed differently from Adobe ones and I guess they're managed more or less as local adjustment masks (brush tool, graduated filter, radial filter... etc). My guess is that the WB picker always works on the triad of RGB values that the image presents when rendered with the (inseparable) Adobe profile, regardless the profile currently applied to the image.
Any idea if this supposition is correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are e you referring to the creative profiles or camera matching or profiles created from colorchecker charts? If they are creative profiles such as the "artistic" ones, it is expected that the colors won't turn neutral as the creative profiles contain a number of slider settings that can also contain relative white balance changes, color edits and such that are applied on top of the white balance setting from the dropper. In the case of camera matching profiles, you should get neutral colors when clicking somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing what Jao describes.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi both and thanks for your answers.

I was referring to all profiles others than "Adobe Raw" and "Camera Matching".
As you can see "Artistic", "Modern", "Vintage" and other 3rd parts profiles have the amount slider enabled and the phrase "on top" on Jao_vdL reply is key to me, because seems to confirm that settings in these profiles lay (are applied) on top of Adobe raw or Camera Matching profiles which remain, in some way, a reference (or if you prefer "behind" creative profiles). Thanks Jao_vdL and thanks DdeGannes for your valuable answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creative profiles are indeed built on top of a raw profile. A raw profile is always needed for the raw conversion, the creative effect is an extra layer that is applied after that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines