• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old LR Files

Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found an old user on my OSX sytem with LR files, says they have not been accessed since 2019. Is there any reason NOT to delete these old files? Thank you in advance. 

Neal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know what is in those files or what else is on your computer, so I doubt anyone across the internet can give a definite answer. However, you can investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not asking anyone to know what is in the files, I am using a current version of LR and current catalog, so the question is should I delete the old stuff? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am not asking anyone to know what is in the files, I am using a current version of LR and current catalog, so the question is should I delete the old stuff?"

It may be that this is an old catalog that has work that is not in your current catalog, and so you might want to keep this catalog and the information that it contains. We can't possibly know this, but you can investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say an "old user" I suppose you mean YOU? so these would be your LR files? and is it a catalog?

Normally, when you update or upgrade Lightroom, your previous catalog gets updated also, as with a -2 in the name.

My suggestion would be to see if the "files" are images or data or catalog, and then possibly try to open one "file" to see what it contains. If it is a duplicate or previous catalog of yours and your new catalog is up to date, then you can decide to delete it.  

I generally make sure I. have updated my catalog and my back up catalogs each time I update Lightroom. THen I make sure all my catalogs work by opening them and make sure they contain the folders and images I am used to seeing. Once everything appears in place, I delete any old catalogs so I dont get confused in the future!!!  Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are asking "Is Lightroom still using this?", then the answer is "No, Lightroom is not still using this".

If you are asking if there could be a reason not to delete the files, then the answer is "Yes, of course there could be a reason why you should not delete these files, but only you can possibly know that reason".

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines