Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Olympus E-M1 III high res raw issue

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently purchased an E-M1 III, and love the camera. I use Lightroom for almost all of my editing. I have noticed there seems to be an issue with LR processing the high res raw files from the camera.

Basically, the shots look unsharp. Almost out of focus. After trying many different settings, and many different shots, and also opening files in Luminar and Olympus Workspace, along with comparing the files with the jpeg created by the camera during the high resolution shot process (cam creates a composited ORF file, a single image ORI file, and a composited JPEG file), it seems as though Lightroom is the issue.

Not only is the jpeg created by the camera much sharper, but the ORF files, when opened in Olympus Workspace, are much sharper than when opened in Lightroom. No amount of sharpening, etc will fix them in Lightroom. The files are actually much less sharp than a normal 20mp shot from the camera, and a normal ORF seems to open fine with plenty of detail. I can also export from Olympus Workspace after doing some editing, and get a JPEG that is sharper even than the one produced by the camera during the process.

Also, using the Live ND mode in the camera doesn't seem to create an issue, and Olympus is still creating a composited ORF file when in that mode, but when opened in Lightroom those files have plenty of detail and seem totally fine. So it does seem like the issue is specific to pixel shifted composites.

Adobe says they support the raw files from the camera, but is that support fully realized yet? Or is there simply something I'm doing wrong that is not allowing the file to be read properly?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have input on this.

-Zach

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing a sample raw file and a jpg?

If you edit your first post, you should be able to attach them using the paper clip icon at the bottom of the text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remembered that the file type will probably not be allowed for attachment, so you may have to use Dropbox or some other file sharing service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have come across several posts here and elsewhere suggesting that there is indeed a problem with the hi res files taken by Olympus cameras, for instance…

https://edrosack.com/2015/08/09/thoughts-on-processing-olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii-high-resolution-pho...

While LR is able to open the raws, it seems to muddle the detail captured in those images, thereby defeating the purpose. The same seems true for other 3rd party raw converters too.

How did Luminar fare in comparison to LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines