Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

On Add to Collection: ?:0: attempt to compare two nil values

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings.

I recently updated to the 10.0 release and have started receiving this error in some but not all cases.

"?:0: attempt to compare two nil values"

I am trying to add photos to various collections and occasionally this error pops up in a dialog and fails to add. I can add other photos to the same collections. I can also add the same photos to other collections. But certain specific combinations of photo and collection give the error.

• I have Optimized my Catalog, restarted Lr, and restarted my computer.
  • The problem feels like it os occuring more often as I go.
  • It seems somehow correlated with trying to add to several different collections whiling changing my selection in between, but... I haven't been able to nail down a repeatable pattern.

I would very much appreciate any assistance. I do see a reference to this error in the forums, but from 2016 for a very different context, and the solution relies on dead links.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

A number of people have reported this error when adding photos to collections after updating to LR 10.  Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-when-trying-to-add-files-to-collections-i-get-this-error-0-attempt-to-compare-two-nil-values/5f9091ea35f40c2520b9ecc4

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Also, as a workaround, select the target (destination) collection, do the menu command View > Sort, and choose a sort order other than Custom Order.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a plugin named Logitech Options? If yes please deactivate tihis plugin and try again.

Please take a look here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lr-classic-9-1-error-quot-an-internal-error-has-occ...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-quot-an-internal-error-has-occurr...

To insert screenshots, please use in the future the "Insert Photos" icon in the toolbar, so that we don't have to download them. Thank you.

insert graphic mini.png

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I do not have the Logitech Options plugin installed, but I *do* use the Logitech Options App for my mouse. I searched around and did find the plugin file (LogiOptionLr.lrplugin) on my system, but Lr does not list it in the Plugin manager.

I did have 2 3rd party plugins which I have disabled and restarted Lr, which did not help.

At this point I tried adding, enabling, disabling, and removing the Logitech plugin, just in case it was somehow stealth-installed or had left residuals even though I never knew it existed and never installed it on purpose... Alas, this did not help either.

Anything else I can try? The Logitech thing seems like quite a coincidence, but the normal solution isn't helping me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried adding, enabling, disabling, and removing the Logitech plugin, just in case it was somehow stealth-installed 

Tyically gets installed durung mouse/keyboard druver update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Logitech thing seems like quite a coincidence,

known buggy plugin, That is wyh members inquire 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1603477568789.jpeg

GoldingD_1-1603477568790.png

GoldingD_2-1603477568791.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 10.0 [ 202010011851-ef6045e0 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.7 [19H2]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.6 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32,768.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2,034.3 MB (6.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 11,115.9 MB
Memory cache size: 103.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.0 [ 610 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 75MB / 16383MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 78MB / 32768MB (0%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880, 2) 1920x1200

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 580X

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/berdine/Pictures/Lightroom/DPB Primary LR Catalog-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/berdine/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just the one plugin?

Plugins can be buggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of people have reported this error when adding photos to collections after updating to LR 10.  Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-when-trying-to-add-...

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, as a workaround, select the target (destination) collection, do the menu command View > Sort, and choose a sort order other than Custom Order.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent observation!! I didn't even realize some of the collections had somehow been set to custom order. I pretty much never do that on purpose so it never occurred to me to check.

This is almost as good as a fix for my workflow 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic. Thanks. You saved me hours of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This exact situation just happened to me, and this was the solution! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANKYOU! 

That worked for me as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, starting tonight, and a google search led me here. Changing the target collection sort order to something other than Custom fixed the problem for me. Very frustrating! Thank you for supplying a temporary workaround johnrellis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been bugging me too, and the workaround you have suggested does seem to work.  Mine happened after update.  Wish I'd searched more thoroughly earlier.  I just found this today.  Would be nice for Adobe to send out a notice of this problem and the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...just got the same problem...  "?:0: attempt to compare two nil values"...

seems like adobe itself has to fix it...got no solution by myself...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the target folder from Custom order to date order fixed this for me.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the target folder from Custom sort order to something else worked for me too. But I usually have my Collections in Custom order, so this is an annoying glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually have my collections in Custom sort order also, so find this
glitch annoying too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That worked for me. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem as well after the update, the work around worked out for me. I don't usually change the sort order off Custom, so this didn't occur to me.  Thanks for a temporary solution. 

Adobe, please fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I didn't work for me. I changed the destination (target destination) and the sort order but with no success. Yesterday it was working fine and now all of sudden this. I uninstalled LR and installed it again without success. I hope there is a fix soon because this is super annoying. I will try it on another Mac, maybe there is works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another workaround that's helped some: Create a brand new collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines