• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One step import of ARW & JPG & video files from two card Sony A7R MIII?

Participant ,
Feb 02, 2020 Feb 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I import arw & jpg photos and video from Sony A7R MIII with a different card for each format as one import?  It shows the cards as two different drives on my Windoze 10 system, so it LR doesn't offer the option to import from both.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So import one after the other?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not should I care to use the embedded and sidecar function to help me get a quick view of my 500+ shots I can bring in fairly often to see if the RAW format is worth keeping.  At 3X the size of the JPGs sometimes it isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the question is, why does this need to be one import. Are you looking for Raw+JPG as a paired format - or, are some photos Raw and other photos JPG? In the former case - you will only see that Raw presented anyway so the JPG might as well not be known about by LR at all IMO; the camera might a well be set to shoot Raw only, even. Any time you did exceptionally want a JPG that was made in the camera specifically, against a given Raw, that can be achieved using in-camera Raw development menus after the fact.

If OTOH you want to see the JPG separately from the Raw inside LR, you can set LR to treat those independently in which case it makes no practical whether they arrive in one import or in two imports.

Conversely - if Raw and JPG must pair together, for a given phot - could the camera be configured to not assign those to different card slots?

If it's the import destination that needs to combine, this should be doable too. Especially if a consistent auto-filing scheme is used (e.g. by date) whereby photos will slot in alongside each other suitably by default, even subsequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't AFAIK. Maybe if you had 2 card readers and you put a memory card in each you could select both of them in the import dialog window.

Yes I just check with actual hard drives in my system and I can select different drive or folders on different drives.

So I just tested with 2 cards and 2 card readers. One card having just RAF files, RAWs, and the other having JPGs.

Both got selected, both imported one after the other.

So you can with the right hardware.

2020-02-02 18_48_09-Lightroom.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I do sometimes is simply copy the results from both cards in the camera into a directory "DCIM/Import From" on my network drive and have LR import from there.  Just grows sort of tiresome as I don't need the RAW for everything I use.  When I bring in a photo at 7952 X 5304, it is a fairly sure bet I will have to reduce it in size, etc. for use in local publications that only want 200 dpi, and such.  Many times a JPG can serve just fine for that, and I don't end up manually editing such for each of a pair of photos in RAW and JPG that my camera takes.  Especially since I wrote an export the resizes, etc, for each specific person I will be sending the file to eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW here is what the Sony A7R's two cards look like from Explorer when linked into my system via Bulk Media mode.  As you can see, it treats the cards as two entirely different drives. G: & K: on my particular system.WinDOZE 10 Explorer viewWinDOZE 10 Explorer view

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

it treats the cards as two entirely different drives. G: & K: on my particular system.

End Quote:

Yes that is what happens on my system. You can select both cards in the Import dialog window by holding down the Ctrl key and Clicking on each drive. Like I showed in my screen shot above. you should also have the optionselected to "Included Subfolder". Also as I showed in my screen shot above.

If you can't see my screen shot to well, as this forum system make them appear smaller then they are, Click on the image to open it in a viewer pane and then Righ Click on it and select Open in New Tab. You can then Click on it in that new tab and it will expand to a larger size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the Ctrl key while selecting more than one drive and it only picks the last one I just clicked on.  If I use the shift key instead of the Ctrl and try to select more than one drive it barfs out, writes one of the LRCAT lock files, and never resets without me manually using TaskManager to do such.  I can only reboot the program at all after deleting the lock file it probably uses to keep multitasking from corrupting files by allowing more than one program to access them at one time.

I had tried both of those combos before, but it never recognized either Ctrl or shift when making a selection.  This is the first time I had it totally lock up after trying to make a multiple drive selection using the shift key.  That helps me know something else not to do when trying to get through my files a bit more quickly.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the memory cards in two Different card readers? You can't use that Bulk Media mode (whatever that is), you need two separate card readers. Like I showed in my screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was (correctly this time) Sony's "USB Mode Mass Storage" that I use to transfer from that camera to the PC system via a USB cable.  I don't have to bother taking the cards out that way.  I have about eight card readers I could plug in, but I'm running low on ports for my system these days, and the transfer of the files from the camera port seems to be quicker than from a plain SD reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've search Google for Bulk Media Mode, with and without win 10 added, and I get Nothing related in any way to what you seem to be describing and showing in your screen shot.

In any event you need 2 separate memory card readers and plug them in to 2 Diffeerent USB ports and it will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you set the camera to put both RAW + JPGs on the same card and you set LR to treat JPG as a separate file you don't need 2 card readers to import both at the same time.

This also allows you to Zoom in farther on the camera because the camera will read the JPG to show on the back screen instead of the small Embedded JPG that is in each RAW file. The camera does not show you the RAW data on the back screen.

2019-11-10 08_42_11-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't yet aford the 256 GB Sony card to write files (11 fps) to just the one card at >299MB/s yet.  Otherwise I would be happy to do such.  But burst shooting using something like my Sigma 50/500mm lens gives me lots of photos to deal with but only a few to keep.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the camera to record both JPG and RAW on the same card and it will Auto Switch to the second card when the first fills up. No need to buy extra large memory cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

True, but the A7r MIII only has one UHS-II slot.  Not both of the card slots can write to cards as quick as the card can write stuff out when burst shooting 42.4MP RAW files+JPGs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines