• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open as layers in Ps no longer converts to PSD

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously when you selected images in LR and chose Open as Layers in Photoshop, LR would first convert the files to PSD. Now it appears to just send the raw file as a layer and when in Ps you can do absolutely nothing with the layers!! All options are greyed out. What has changed and how do I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

There seems to be a bug that causes this. I am not 100% sure, but I believe it should work fine if you first manually start Photoshop and then send the images from Lightroom. See https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/many-ps-20-0-1-functions-missing-on-image-opened-from-lr-cl-cc

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no 'conversion' per se, anything opened has to be saved at which a time, you pick what format you desire. Until you save, it's just 'in memory' waiting to be saved as such.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you misunderstand me. In LR when you right click an image (or images) and select either 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019' or 'Open as Layers in Photoshop', LR would first make a PSD version of the file (with LR edits) before opening that file in PS.(As set in LR preferences for external editors). Now when I do this no conversion is taking place. PS opens the raw file and you can do nothing with it - everything is greyed out in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be a bug that causes this. I am not 100% sure, but I believe it should work fine if you first manually start Photoshop and then send the images from Lightroom. See https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/many-ps-20-0-1-functions-missing-on-image-ope...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bug! Its a corker! Just tried your suggestion keeping PS open - nope - still broke. Its like it passes the raw to PS but PS forgets to pass the file through ACR before loading the layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah sorry you are correct - it does work if PS is open. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

bigtench  wrote

I think you misunderstand me. In LR when you right click an image (or images) and select either 'Edit in Adobe Photoshop CC 2019' or 'Open as Layers in Photoshop', LR would first make a PSD version of the file (with LR edits) before opening that file in PS.(As set in LR preferences for external editors). Now when I do this no conversion is taking place. PS opens the raw file and you can do nothing with it - everything is greyed out in PS.

No, it doesn't. It (actually ACR in Photoshop) renders the raw from LR and opens it in Photoshop. It's not a PSD or anything until you save it as such. Photoshop cannot open a raw. ACR can and pass that to Photoshop proper.

Further, I can't replicate this so called bug on Mac OS (Mojave). I can select a raw, then Edit in Photoshop CC and it launches PS and renders (with again ACR) the raw and it's open, awaiting to be saved as a PSD, TIFF, JPEG or whatever I desire. If I simply close the document just rendered, I'm asked: Save changes to the Adobe Photoshop document “XXX UHD65.CR2” before closing?

Until saved, it's in memory from the raw, rendered through ACR, passed to ACR from LR.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known problem with latest PS. If you do not launch PS before having LR send an image (or images) over to PS, then this happens. If PS is already running it does not.

workaround is to have PS running before you have LR do some form of Edit in PS, (Edit in, edit as layers, etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines