• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open as smart object filename adds a sequenc number

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a rawfile from Lightroom Classic 9.2 in Photoshop, the filename stays the same. I have set this in Lightrooms preferences to work like this. If I open the rawfile as a smart object in Photoshop, there is -1 added to the filename. This is annoying for me because if I save the file, the filename is not the same and that is what I want.

How can a get Lightroom to stop adding -1 (or -2 etc) to the filename when opening the file as smart object in Photoshop?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works the same for me whether I open the file using "Edit In....." or "Open as a Smart Object".   The file comes back with just the file name.  It will only add the -1, -2 etc if the filename already exists for a previous Photoshop edit.

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 10.05.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it with a photo I never opened in Photoshop and it added the -1 tot the filename. It is annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if the filename already exists.  Like I said, it works correctly for me.  It only adds the -1 if the filename already exists at the "save" location.  

Lr9.2  Macos 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filename only exist as nef and xmp file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe its a Windows only problem as it it ok on my Mac.   I know there have been  several Mac only and Windows only issues in Lightroom.   You will have to wait for a Windows person to test this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Windows user- and my experience: (Lr > Ps set for TIF)

1) Edited a DNG as SO in Ps, clicked on [Close] (intending to Save to the prompt), Ps asks "Save changes....", and I also see the  "-1" suffix but only in the dialog!!!

ScreenShot132.jpg

Answer 'Yes' and the TIF is saved as Filename-edit.TIF

ScreenShot136.jpg

2) The same but this time clicked on [Save], and my TIF saves back to Lr with the name and the default '-edit' suffix as expected, and NO dialog window appears in Ps

ScreenShot134.jpg

3) Now open the same DNG in Ps as SO a second time and [Save]- I get 'Filename-edit-2.TIF' (there is no -1 version?)

So not sure what to make of this for the OP!!  The crazy quirks of Photoshop?

Perhaps one day I will understand the details of the Lr<>Ps workflow.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought it could be the action to save and close the file I made was messing it up. But today, it works normal, no added -1 to the filename. Sorry to have bothered you here, but the problem solved itself mysteriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines