Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open in Layers in Photoshop will not load unless in photoshop, not lightroom

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

My workflow consists of opening 5-6 photos as layers in photoshop to create an image. We typically have 20-30 sets of images. I normally like to open 5-10 images in photoshop at a time. I do the basic corrections in lightroom first, sync to the set, then open in layers in photoshop. 

I used to be able to click open in layers in photoshop, then continue to make the basic adjustments in lightroom for the next sets. I would do this 5-10 times, then click over to photoshop, and they were all there loaded.

Currently the images will not open as layers in photoshop unless i switch over to photoshop and off of lightroom classic. This is adding a lot of time in waiting for them to load, instead of being able to continue the corrections in lightroom as previous sets load in the background.

How can I get photoshop to open the photos in layers as I continue to make my adjustments and open more as layers in lightroom classic. I currently am using the latest macbook pro and software apple and adobe offer.

Thanks in advance.
Jon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using TIFF as your External Edit preference AND have Compression set to ZIP, set it to NONE.  It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the advice. I made the changes in Lightroom, it doesn't seem to have helped at all. I restarted both programs and tried opening 6 sets, and waited about a minute to see if any opened up, to my dismay none did, and only started opening once i switched over to photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Before making the TIFF compression change to NONE it didnt work at all for me.  After making the change it works most of the time but not always so it is not a complete solution.  A siminar bug of "Edit In Photoshop..." of multiple files only opening a portion of them has been around and reported for years and is still not fixed.   It seems since Adobe owns both programs they should be able to resolve this issue.  They are not totally repeatable but happen enough to be able to duplicate.  When I update to a new version of MacOS I usually do a clean format install and reinstall without any migration to clean out the cobwebs.  A couple times I installed Lr and PS only to see if the issue existed on a new install and the error shows up so it is not something with cobwebs in a machine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying Bob's suggestion, please add your constructive opinion to this bug report, indicating whether or not disabling compression fixed the problem:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-open-as-layers-in-photoshop-function-in-ligh...

Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes. (Safari users, uncheck the option Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Prevent Cross-Site Tracking or use Chrome or Firefox.) 

A number of people have reported this issue, but only two so far have added details and clicked Me Too on the bug report, making it less likely Adobe will prioritize a fix.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John,

I took a quick look at the link you sent. It doesn't appear to be the same issue to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I took a quick look at the link you sent. It doesn't appear to be the same issue to me."

In that bug report, users report that recently, after the update to LR 9.3, when they do Open As Layers in Photoshop, not all the images open in Photoshop.

You report that recently, when you do Open As Layers In Photoshop, the images don't load into Photoshop unless you switch focus to Photoshop.  This used to work for you without having to leave the focus on Photoshop.

These are suspiciously similar symptoms that have been reported after the release of LR 9.3.  I recommend you add a detailed description of your issue along with the first ten lines of Help > System Info to the bug report and click Me Too. The more people add details and vote, the more likely Adobe will take a look and prioritize a fix. Adobe developers don't participate in this forum.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines