Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenGL Failure in Lightroom CC

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got "Graphics processor acceleration has been disabled due to errors."

My system exceeds all the requirements to my knowledge, and I've updated all my drivers.

Specs:

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.9 GHz

Built-in memory: 28616.8 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 28616.8 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 829.0 MB (2.8%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 810.5 MB

Memory cache size: 1149.7 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 6

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1080, 3) 1920x1080

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.13292 Core Profile Context 14.502.1014.0

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

LanguageVersion: 4.40

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Definitely get the drivers up to date.

I don't believe there's a problem with Radeon HD cards, and FWIW, I'm using a XFX AMD Radeon R9 280 with 3Gb. You're going to need a recent generation card with at least 2Gb of memory such as the AMD R9 2xx series or nvidia’s Geforce 700 or 900.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 320 Replies 320
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2015 May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Luyckx wrote:

You know, it just struck me that some of the comments I heard from Adobe are a bit strange.

Sometimes they seem to be saying: "We definitely know what the problem is and it is in the drivers, so we can't do anything".

And sometimes they are saying: "We are working hard to find a solution, give me more data logs please."

Between version "6.00" and "6.01" (using quotes 'cause I'm using cc) there was an additional improvement to the script that generates the log files. But that doesn't get mentioned.

My best guess is that people at Adobe knew all along that there were going to be problems, and that's why the release date got postponed at least once, although not officially.

The fact that certain things don't yet work with opengl (HDR, panorama etc) in my mind means that this is a beta release as far as the opengl goes.

The fact that this log file button is present in the preferences as well as in the Help, system info (where it belongs) also points to this.

Imagine if Adobe had to come out with the latest and most awaited LR version and say to the public that certain aspects are still in beta?

So, I'm not worried. They are going to figure this out, but is going to take a lot of time.

Everything else works fantastic and is worth the upgrade even without the opengl accel.

Please don't post speculation about something you know nothing about (Adobe internal workings) as it adds nothing to help people find solutions to answers....

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep this thread on topic of the GPU current issues... any off track will be removed.

Thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "alt drag" GPU clipping warning not matching the clipping warning when GPU is turned off seems to also be an AMD issue.
I replaced my HD6770 with a nvidia 750TI and it works as expected now. A good bit faster on updates for slider changes too I think.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrew_d2 wrote:

A good bit faster on updates for slider changes too I think.

That's the main benefit I'm appreciating: all-but-instantaneous - "real time" - indication on the preview of the effect of the slider.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, but the Luminance NR slider takes about 2.0 sec. with GPU enabled and it's near instantaneous with GPU disabled. I've got an older Nvidia Quadro 600 card with Passmark Score 680. Perhaps I should upgrade to the newer Quadro K620 with Passmark Score 2240, which is about the same price? I'm skeptical that will really help much since some users are reporting no real improvement with much higher-end cards. Anyone with a higher-end Nivida card care to comment on their results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same trouble with my Radeon HD5830, it is not possible to activate the GPU acceleration with the newest release or beta driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can someone who doesn't have a problem please give some feedback as to what kind of performance gains they're seeing? Is the difference significant? zooming into a picture, for example, etc.

just so we know what we're missing.

maybe this needs a separate thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried an Import test for you:

1832 full frame NEFs took 2min 29 seconds to import with Smart Previews and all metadata intact.

I always edit in Bridge-hosted ACR so these NEFs already carry "Developed" edits in their metadata but this is Light-speed faster than anything I saw in Lr5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, cool. thanks. can you do the same import with GPU disabled, just for gits and shiggles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of numbers, I did some simple tests.

For 20 1:1 renders comparing with LR 5.7.1, LR6 was faster by 9%.

In exporting 20 D810 NEF images to 3000px JPG, LR6 was faster by %17.

Compared to the Library module, the Develop module seemed to be faster significantly, Crop tool definitely is faster now, and the sliders are practically realtime.

I'm using Mac 5K by the way, and I ran LR6 normally at 2880 x 1620 as well as forcing it to run at low res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't quite understand this "real time" thing. I've seen this description elsewhere and I'm not sure how much more real time it can be - on my 3 year old computer and a 1920X1200 monitor, lightroom 4 - all the sliders are "real time".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case probably you would be hard pressed to see a significant difference. I ran 5.7.1 and 6 on the same machine, and I still felt the sliders were smoother and totally no lag

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the biggest issue for me is zooming in. that just drives me nuts.

when going over a shoot of 200-300 pics, and trying to do a rapid run and select, it's pretty slow. and then when i see a picture that is a candidate and want to check focus, etc, zooming in just brings everything to a halt for a couple of seconds.

this is the main area i'd like to see an improvement in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried zooming 100% and panning D810 images around in both versions, and although both take roughly the same time to render 1:1 on the spot, zooming and panning stuttered and sometimes freezes in 5.7.1 whereas in LR6 there weren't significant delays. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was running at 2880 x 1620 so probably mine was lagging just a tiny bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here HD6870. What says the Adobe Support? Anyone has contact it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The performance improvements are going to be different for each user dependent on the graphics card used. I suggest starting a new post with this subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 24, 2015 Apr 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like AMD still has lousy openGL support.

or why is it that 80% of the complains come from AMD user?

i noticed this years ago while working with cad applications. switched to nvidia and things went smooth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,  I have Radeon HD 7570 and have updated repeatedly with the response that I have the latest update.  Same thing:  Check Open GL Support:  Failed.  I have a service request into AMD.  If I get anything worthwhile, I will post.  I have used LR since version 2 and never had this nonsense.  GPU works fine in PS 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rolling back video drivers in the AMD world is pretty common, they speed up the latest game and break something else. They are concerned with gaming benchmarks to sell their cards vs competitors.
So...
The 15beta drivers didn't work for me, the 14.4 ones do.
ACR 9 is much better, well done Eric and the team.
The adjustment brush is better because you can brush your mask on and then tweaking the effect is a lot faster.
Crop effect is quite nice, the perspective shifts are really smooth.
I've put about 600 images through it and zero crashes or glitches so far.

Image export is great.
My machine is modest by top spec current machine standards (Q9650, 8GB RAM, HD6770) but ACR 9 is great. To be fair ACR has always run well (since before Lightroom existed) but this is the biggest boost in productivity I can remember since the change in the sliders for the "2012 process".

The HDR merge without preview dialog is jaw dropping, creating a DNG in a few seconds. OMG.

Thanks,

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2015 Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi larrysphotocasa,

I have the same card however mine came with HP computer, HP defines this card as their OEM and only recommends their driver updates, I'm curious if yours is also a preinstalled card if so did you have any problem using AMDs website to update driver?

These are my specs

HP's lattest driver version 8.960.11.1000

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Version: 3.3.11627 Core Profile Context

Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7570

LanguageVersion: 4.20

GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS (actual = 32, minimum = 48)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell with the AMD Radeon HD 7570.  Doesn't work.  I have uploaded the most recent version, the previous 14.4 version and the new Beta version.  None work with LR 6 although they work perfectly with PS 6.  Contacted ATI for help.  They recommended that I delete all previous versions of Radeon and download again.  I did.  Still doesn't work.  I believe this is the fault of Adobe and not the Radeon graphics card.  I am going to wait until Adobe does something. Genuinely disgusted.  I was happy with LR 5, although the new LR 6 HDR application is great.  Imagine having an HDR image in dng instead of Tiff!  All of LR 6 is slower than any previous version, and I have been a LR users since LR 2.  Booting up, importing, downloading new photos and the Development module:  all slower.  Frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a simple case of being Adobe's (or AMD's) "fault".

Case in point: I had to update the driver on my AMD R7 200 card (which worked perfectly for Capture One) before Lr 6 would see it. It works perfectly with Lr now.

But look what happens now in Capture One when I move any slider:

cap_one_banding.jpg

I don't see that banding In Lr 6, or Optics Pro 10, or Photo Ninja.

Whose fault is this, then? Other Capture One folk using this card and driver aren't seeing this, but I'm not seeing it anywhere else than in Capture One...

The point being - computers are complicated things, and it's impossible to anticipate and deal with every single possible circumstance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is a Dell system with a AMD 7500. I agree with every comment you make. I have the latest drivers. LR6 is slower by a long way in loading my images. LR 5.7 had no issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emil1369 wrote:

can someone who doesn't have a problem please give some feedback as to what kind of performance gains they're seeing? Is the difference significant?

Hi,

Nobody can answer this question until we get something else than a beta version of LR 6/CC. I don't have this problem but there are too much new problems related to the display (especially when loading an image) to be able to validly comment about the performance enhancements in LR6. For example, when I load an image in the Development module, I can observe a 4-step "process" that was not there in LR5 :

1. The image is sharp but very briefly.

2. The image becomes very blurred.

3. The image becomes less blurry.

4. The image becomes sharp again.

This happens even when the 1:1 preview has already been generated and with or without GPU acceleration. The process is just a little bit shorter (1-2 seconds) when the GPU option is enabled.

Just wait for the "real" thing. This is the worst x.0 version that I have ever seen for Lightroom. The only thing that can be done for now is stacking up bug reports and wait...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines