Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Optimum PC config for LR Classic ?

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm about to buy a custom built PC because even my current Intel i7 CPU is getting slower with LR V9.2. The plan is to use either an Intel i7 (9th Gen) or an i9 , or an AMD Ryzen as well as 32Gb DDR4 RAM.

Two questions:

1. The new PC will have a 2Tb HDD and a 256Gb SSD NVMe PCle . I intend to run the Windows 10 OS from the SSD. Is it best to install LR program and the LR catalogue on the SSD as well, but leave all my original and processeimages on the HDD? 

2. Is there really any point in having a Graphics Card over and above a standard integrated card? I figure that so many people seem to not be able to take advantage of GPU Acceleration because their card isn't supported. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your config loks fine, I personally would go to a Ryzen 7 3700X. Almost the same performance as the i9, but less expensive.

For your questions :

1.  I would install LR (the program) as well as the catalog on the SSD and put the photos on the HDD. LR does very few access to the photos, so storing them on the SSD won't improve performance but wil occupies expensive space.

2. If you can afford it, with such a PC configuration I strongly recomand to add a graphic card, like a nVidia 2060 or 2070. This will improve performance in the develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks! I really appreciate your feedback! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 256 GB system drive is too small, NVMe or not. It will work well to begin with, but the problem with system drives is that they fill up over time. That's not because of your program files or the OS, but because all applications dump all kinds of things under your user account.  That's everything from user settings to caches and preview folders. Most of this will go in and never out again. So it accumulates, and it can grow to 100s of GB before you know it.

If you plan to use Photoshop, this becomes absolutely critical. You'll want to have the PS scratch disk here, and that can eat up several hundred GB alone during one session.

As for GPU, I'd recommend staying away from the gaming cards. That's where most of the problems happen, because drivers are released primarily to keep the gamers happy and let them run the latest games. The gaming community isn't particularly preoccupied with correct protocol. So they cut corners and fix the bugs later. In other words, Quadro over GeForce, Radeon Pro over standard Radeon. These drivers are not optimized for games, but for graphics, 3D and CAD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that 256 GB is too small IF you let the user account on it, which I don't recommand. It's a good habit to let this partition dedicated to OS and programs and  move your user account to an other partition. In this case, 256 GB is enough for the system partition.

To move your user account, just move the special folders "Documents", "Pictures", "Music", "Video" and "Download". Right clic on each one, select "Properties", "Move" tab and select a folder on the other partition.

These special folders will now point to folders outside your system partition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the user account I'm talking about. It's a given that you don't store images on the system drive, but on a separate disk.

What I mean is the main folder called "Users" which also contains a subfolder called "AppData". This is normally a hidden folder unless you unhide it in the OS. This is where applications dump the things that I mentioned, and which will, over time, grow to surprising proportions.

You can't move this folder. You can redirect some items, like e.g. the Bridge cache, but other things keep coming in.

On Windows there's a brilliant utility called WinDirStat which shows you exactly what's on your disks. Now, knowing all this, I keep the "AppData" folder as clean as I can. I go in and remove stuff regularly. But even so, it still occupies a substantial part of my system drive (outlined in white):

windirstat.png

(The two big red blocks are the Windows pagefile and hibernation file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, many thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current Intel i7 CPU is getting slower with LR V9.

You don't say what actions in Lightroom are slow. Different actions can be slow for different reasons. Upgrading certain hardware may have no effect on your slowness, while upgrading other hardware may have a big effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mainly scrolling in Library View and certainly using the Adjustment Brush, Spot Removal Tools. The lag can be dreadful sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problems with slow and laggy local adjustments (spot removal, brushing) usually come from a combination of things. If you have large image files (in pixels or megapixels, not megabytes) and you have a 4K or larger monitor and you want to do lots of brushing and/or lots of spot healing on a photo, then this is a known recipe for slowness.

Some things you can try

1. Turn off the GPU acceleration (note: this may make some other things slower)
  2. Switch to a 1920x1080 monitor
  3. Do the brushing or spot removal as the next to last editing step, and then as the last editing step turn on lens corrections and transforms
  4. Do the spot healing and brushing in Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I've tried all of those things and more but to no avail, which is why I'm going for a new PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines