• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ordering folders in Library module of lightroom classic cc

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple task. I create a folder for each photo shoot using the following convention: the year, the date, brief description.  Each folder looks like this: 2020 0221 Katadin snow scenes.  I use the same label for file name, and for keyword.  My folders arrange themselves into chronological order on my external hard drive and appear that way in the library module of lightroom when I import.  This is a great organizing tool, but it forces me to scroll to the bottom of the list in Lightroom to work on my most recent files.  There must be a way of reversing the order of listing so the most recent date is on top of the list making it unnecessary to scroll down through hundreds of folders to find my most recent one on the bottom.  I can reverse the order on my external hard drive, but Lightroom still lists them in the order of import.  Lightroom can locate a photo even when the hard drive is ordered differently.  How can I achieve reverse chronological order and still maintain my folder labeling convention?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom always shows folders alphabetically. So folders whose name begins with 2020 will always be below folders whose name begins with 2019.

So something has to give. Either you stop naming the folders this way, or you develop some other way of locating photos in Lightroom (I have an idea ... see next paragraph) or you decide not to use Lightroom any more.

If you click on "All Photographs", and then sort it by capture date (descending), then your most recent photos are at the top.  This is how I do it and it is sticky; the next time you open LR, your most recent photos remain at the top. If you then need to open just that folder ... right-click on the photo and select Go to Folder in Library. In my mind, this is just as easy (maybe even slightly easier) than scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the Folder Panel and then clicking on the desired folder. You could also use keywords (or other metadata); and then search by keywords (or other metadata), that's how I do it most of the time.

As a side issue for you, Lajoiephoto, is your nickname selected for the Cleveland Indians Hall-of-Fame second baseman Napoleon Lajoie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  In my ego-centric world, I'm used to being able to sort in most database fields, but I guess that's up to Adobe.  In the meantime, I love your suggestion of sorting in "All Photographs".  I'll use that until something better is developed.

At the risk of showing my age, Nap Lajoie is purported to be my grandfather's cousin.  I'm too cheap to spend the money Ancestry.com wants to prove it.  I can say with certainty that my son was visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame and was photographed in front of "cousin" Nap's picture because they resemble one another.  

Thanks, again, for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom always sorts the folder alphabetically.

Knowing this you can temporarily put a leading underscore at the front of the name so that it sorts to the top of the list while you are working with that folder. Then you can remove the underscore when you are finished so that the folder sinks back down to its regular position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might take advantage of the folder colours which were added recently. I mark currently-live folders with the red label and can then filter from the box at the top of the Folders panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines