Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Over saturated images when viewing on a phone after exporting as Srgb jpeg

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I recently edited some headshots in photoshop using the raw sony files I had everything set to SRGB. Im using a Dell Monitor which is set to display as SRGB and my macbook pro which I also have set to SRGB display. Both macbook and monitor image looks the same.

When I import the file into lightroom for the final colour edit changes it to looks the same and I have set the export as jpeg/SRGB. On my monitor and macbook my picture looks as intended the issue is when I open the same picture file on several of my phones the image is completely over saturated and the image is ruined.

My understanding was setting everything to srgb was the safest way to export images to be viewed on multiple devices. But this is not the case for me or am I do something wrong? I sent the files via we transfer for the client to look at which she downloaded via her phone and the same issue happened she appeared way to saturated in the images. How can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either your computer monitor is not properly calibrated, or the screens on your phones are not properly calibrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I havent done any proper calibration with the devices you can purchase. My monitor however does give me several colour space options to work in. The two main ones are Adobe RGB and SRGB. I select SRGB and use my macbook as SRGB display also. They match quite well. So im not understanding why when exporting the files on the phone it looks so over saturated. The phone displays are more closer to how it would look in Adobe RGB. Is this a common thing that phone screens match up better with Adobe RGB. Does this mean I should edit in Adobe RGB so i can manage the over saturation from the start of the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitor mis-calibration is not magically cured by exporting sRGB. If your computer monitor is not calibrated properly, the exports will not look right on screens that are properly (or nearly so) calibrated. Similarly, if your phone screen is not properly calibrated, it will not display the photos properly.

I believe both Windows and Mac have built into the operating system software a method of calibrating (which may not be as accurate as hardware calibration), but ought to get you close.

And no, exporting as Adobe RGB won't help either, if somewhere in your devices/computer monitor there is improper calibration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I will be ordering a calibration device now. Once this is done will my images on screen when exported look the same as my phone if exporting to srgb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If both the monitor and the phone screens are properly calibrated, then you should see the same images on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of phones are they? The photo should look roughly the same on an iPhone because of the system-level color management.

Older Android phones don't have any color management, and some newer ones have wide gamut displays. That's a bad combination, because if you have an image with a color like Red 250 and no color management, the wide gamut phone will display a much more saturated Red 250 than the sRGB phone. The solution, if it's your own phone, is to set the phone color mode to sRGB.

I was reading about the Galaxy S10 phone, which has a newer feature that will actually recognize an embedded color profile and adapt its color mode for it..., helping to prevent oversaturation. But I don't think the majority of Android phones have that feature so they're prone to oversaturation, especially if they are set to a wide gamut color mode.

In short: It can depend on the particular combination of phone display (its gamut), phone model, phone OS, and phone OS version. Which of course you can't control for everyone out there who might view your photos. The best you can do is edit on a calibrated computer display, export with an embedded color profile (which Lightroom does), and just let it go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The phone I was looking at the image on was a google pixel 2 XL which was showing the color graded image as super saturated compared to Dell monitor display.

I don't mind it not being exactly identical but to be so far off was really worrying. I have a spyder Xpro coming tomorrow. Hopefully I can use it to callibrate both my macbook pro and my Dell UP2716D monitor display. So next time I begin a colour grade on these monitors it wont be so problematic when a client views the images on their phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there I was searching because I'm having the exact same problem on the same phone. Pictures look great on computer but terribly oversaturated on a Google pixel 2 xl any fixes you've found for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I am having the exact same issue as both of you, just with a different phone model. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I never could get it to be fixed. So I ended up buying a new laptop and
a new phone and it fixed it. A MacBook and an iPhone, and the colors match
between both perfectly. 😅 sorry that might not be much help to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha wow thats extreme! Though I'm glad it worked for you.

I edit on an Acer pc but images come oversaturated on my iphone/ ipad. And generally iPhone displays any image (not just my edits) very differently to my pc in terms of colour..

Did you try re-calibrating your monitor on a previous PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good place to start when addressing color issues and especially color spaces is to confirm that your monitor(s) are calibrated accurately. For image professionals, it is suggested that you use a hardware device to "read" the color information and adjust accordingly. A couple of common options are those by Xrite and DataColor.

https://www.xrite.com/categories/calibration-profiling

https://spyderx.datacolor.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj9KM4bXF6AIVA6SzCh3fjg0fEAAYASAAEgL7h_D_BwE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines