• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Particular image renders differently when opened in other programs

New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited a particular image in Lightroom Classic and then increased canvas size in Photoshop to add a border  (this is part of my regular workflow).

However for the first time ever I have an image that after saving or exporting renders/displays/appears completely different when opened with anything else, Paint, Irfanview, Photo etc.

I am absolutely at a loss to understand what causes this and I enclose screenshots of the image in Photoshop and in Irfanview to illustrate the point. I have simply clicked "Save" in Photoshop as I always do.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Fire Opened.jpgFire Saved.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

It seems that you have a wide gamut monitor, and are viewing images in applications without color management. 

With a wide gamut monitor, you have to use only color managed applications to view your work, otherwise colors will be wrong.  You can enable color management in Irfanview by going to Options > Properties/Settings > Zoom/Color Management, and set it up like below, then restart the application.

Paint and Photos are not color managed, so forget about them.

irfanview.png

It also seems that you are

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that you have a wide gamut monitor, and are viewing images in applications without color management. 

With a wide gamut monitor, you have to use only color managed applications to view your work, otherwise colors will be wrong.  You can enable color management in Irfanview by going to Options > Properties/Settings > Zoom/Color Management, and set it up like below, then restart the application.

Paint and Photos are not color managed, so forget about them.

irfanview.png

It also seems that you are saving files with the ProPhoto profile embedded, which is not recommended. ProPhoto is intended for editing, and you should never save out anything with this profile embedded.

The default profile for external editing in Lightroom is unfortunately ProPhoto, I suggest that you go to Edit > Preferences > External editing, and change it to Adobe RGB, which is a much better choice, and also roughly matches the color gamut of your monitor.

LR-edit-external.png

If you are posting images on the internet, or sending to friends, use the sRGB profile.

In Photoshop, use Export or Save for web, and check the boxes for Convert to sRGB and Embed profile.

In Lightroom, simply export with the sRGB profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much Per,

That was really helpful and your excellent and detailed answer has solved my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines