Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photo change after import

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo All

For a while now, when I import my photos into LR, the photo's are overexposed. Way different than on my Camera screen. I've made peace with it, and just edit is to be less overexposed. When I transfer it to PS, make changes, and back to LR, it is still fine then.

But today, I've edited a photo in PS (no LR edits). Saved it, and only after this, I've imported it into LR. And now, the photo are crazy overexposed. What changes do LR make when I import? There are no presets selected when importing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset the Defaults for your camera in LR.

Select an image, go to the develop module, select Develop from the menu and then "Set Default Settings". In the dialog windows that comes up select "Restore Adobe Default Settings".

Also do you use a hardware calibration system? If not then could be your monitors brightness is turned up to high.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will try that. I did a calibration with a spyder, but it was very bad, so I disabled the calibration. The preview in my culling program (ViewNX2 - i know it's not the best program, but it works for me) is perfect... like on the camera screen. But as soon as I import it into LR, one by one, the exposure changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also there are some versions of Nikon software that corrupts image files so that LR can't read them or can't read them correctly.

I suggest you stop using the ViewNX2 and do everything in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even when I bypass the nikon software, the exposure still changes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for showing us the example.

I believe this is the normal and expected Lightroom first showing you the JPG that is embedded in the RAW, and then after a few seconds, it has time to render it's own version of the RAW and that is the lighter version. Please remember that the JPG has had editing applied to it in the camera, while the RAW that Lightroom is showing you has no editing applied.

How to turn this off? YOu can't. However, you can develop presets for Lightroom that can make the initial image that you see more pleasing to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...

It is very frustrating though...

I try to capture the photo with the correct exposure, to minimize editing. So the image I see on the camera is not how the RAW comes out... When I cull the photos, I choose the best exposure... but then it is not the true exposure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most settings in the camera - like Picture styles and Active D-lighting only affect the raw file's embedded preview.

Set everything to Standard or Neutral, and make sure Active D-lighting is off.

This should make the jpg preview (and the image you see on the back of the camera) look more like the raw file.

Alternatively, try a different profile in the Camera Calibration panel in Develop.

Once you've found one you prefer, open an unedited image in Develop, do not do any edits except setting the camera profile.

Now go to the Develop menu and choose Set default settings, then click Update to current settings, and all images you import from this camera in the future will use the camera profile you have chosen.

LR-camera-calibration.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Will give it a try. What is the best option between sRGB and Adobe RGB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color profile setting in the camera shouldn't make much difference.

But this is yet another setting that doesn't affect raw files, which are grayscale files and don't have a color profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've restored the settings, and imported an album. No change. I'm attaching a photo to show the difference. The first one is while importing, showing "fetching initial preview". Second one is after it is loaded. It happens within seconds.forum.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you first load images in to LR what is displayed is the Embedded JPG file that is included in every RAW file. Once LR had the time to create a preview of that RAW image that preview is displayed.

I suggest you re-calibrate your display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did anyone find a solution to this?  It's even happening with ProRAW files on Lightroom mobile.  Looks fine on the Apple Photos app but once I import it to Lightroom Mobile, it's like 2-3 stops overexposed.  it's very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines