Highlighted

Photo goes from BW to color when going into develop module

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So whenever I go into the develop module for a photo that is black and white, it will for some reason convert to color. Additionally, the HSL panel is the default panel that opens up (which I'm sure has something to do with the conversion from BW to color). How can I make it so that a black and white photo stays black and white, and also have it so that the default panel that opens up is 'Basic'? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photo goes from BW to color when going into develop module

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So whenever I go into the develop module for a photo that is black and white, it will for some reason convert to color. Additionally, the HSL panel is the default panel that opens up (which I'm sure has something to do with the conversion from BW to color). How can I make it so that a black and white photo stays black and white, and also have it so that the default panel that opens up is 'Basic'? Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 23, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When did you accomplish making the photo black and white?

In camera? specify camera and setting.

In post processing? Elaborate

Shooting RAW or JPEG?

In LrC are you using embedded previews?

(https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/lightroom-classic-new-embedded-previews/)

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In post processing. So I'll make the photo black and white, go back to my library, and when going back into the develop module for that photo (and any other black and white photo for that matter), it undoes the black and white treatment and reverts to color (which shows up as 'Convert to Black & White - No' in the history). From here I'll undo with ctrl + z to bring it to black and white. 

Shooting RAW, and using 1:1 previews. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Lightroom Classic 9.2 or later the only way it is possible to have a raw file that you intentionally photographed as a black-and-white image to be imported as such is if you have properly established default settings for your camera. Here is a tutorial that I have found to be extremely helpful in doing that. I'm a slow learner and had to watch it a couple of times before I got things just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGCnR9qEqA4&t=813s 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim, this isn't my issue (I've replied to David's post with further clarifications), however this does happen to be a separate issue I've run into before, so I appreciate your insight here! Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you should post this over at the official feedback site where actual Adobe Techs pay attention:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom?topi...

provide a link to that discussion in this discussion as feedback when you do, please.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, see: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lrc-9-3-hsl-color-b-w-tat-activation-adds-con...

and

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/hsl-glitch.40578/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diagnostic reccomendation.

To aid the tech types, perhaps do the following

1. Keep maticulous notes, perhaps in a text editor if everything that you accomplish in the following.

2. Take a new RAW photo.

3. Set up the import screen to create the minimum previews.

4. Set up the import screen to not accomplish any presets, etc

5.  Import a brand new photo, a RAW photo.

6. Remember, keep notes.

7. Import

8. Select the new photo. and start your editing steps, keep notes.

9. I assume, once you have it at the black and white stage, Take a screen shot, include history, navigator, histogram, and image.

10. Go into the library module, note how the image looks. Take a screen shot, probably  in  loupe  view.

12. Return to Develop module, now how does the image  looks. take that screen shot, similar as before.

Using your notes, and yourr screenshots, compose your new posting

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 26, 2020 0