Highlighted

Photo import changes?

Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always kept my images (both raw and edited jpg exports) on an external drive. When I went to use Lightroom Classic today, it said that it needed to update the directory - I okayed this update. But then when I went to export my edited images - set to export to "same folder as original photo", in a folder called "Exports", like I always do - it somehow dropped them into my Home > Pictures folder (I'm on a Mac). Both the raw and exports were there, meaning that the raw images had to have been placed there when I updated to Lightroom.

Any idea why this happened? And how to reverse it to my previous settings? I only need the files on my external, there's no need for it to import to the Pictures folder on my mac.

Topics

Bug, FAQ, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photo import changes?

Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've always kept my images (both raw and edited jpg exports) on an external drive. When I went to use Lightroom Classic today, it said that it needed to update the directory - I okayed this update. But then when I went to export my edited images - set to export to "same folder as original photo", in a folder called "Exports", like I always do - it somehow dropped them into my Home > Pictures folder (I'm on a Mac). Both the raw and exports were there, meaning that the raw images had to have been placed there when I updated to Lightroom.

Any idea why this happened? And how to reverse it to my previous settings? I only need the files on my external, there's no need for it to import to the Pictures folder on my mac.

Topics

Bug, FAQ, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get a message about updating a directory, that usually means that you have an import preset (or last import settings) that specifies a folder, but that folder is currently unavailable. The folder is then reset to the default, your Pictures folder. It seems that this is what has happened: you started Lightroom while that external drive was temporarily unavailable, and so the import destination was reset. That is how the imported raw files ended up on your internal drive, and not on the drive you thought they would end up. And so that is where your exported files are now also sent to, because you send them to the same folder.

Just make sure you select the external drive for your next import. And drag and drop the images that are on your internal drive to a folder on the external drive, or drag and drop their folder. Do this in the Lightroom folder panel, not in the Macintosh Finder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines