• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photography plan

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am considering taking out a photography plan . I have Lightroom 5.7 (now unsupported)

I am a casual amateur photographer and use Lightroom 5.7 on an irregular basis and at a low level . However I  do have a collection of 320gb files which are mostly just an archive and backed up locally. On my desktop .I now take RAW Nikon NEF and Sony ARW but the majority of my photos are historic .jpg

Most of my editing has historically been done on the desktop but I want to do more editing literally on my lap for which i have a laptop. I have just also purchased an IPad Pro  for my art hobby and for which i have downloaded the Lightroom app to play with.

Questions:

Would I be able to simply import my 5.7  Single catalogue straight into Lightroom classic? Or are there more complexities?

Could I install classic onto both my desktop and laptop?

Leaving me then to use "lightroom" on just my I pad for occasional times when I want to take some photos whilst away from home and edit them (whilst also using the same to access tutorials)

My intent is to purchase the 20gb and upgrade to 1 terabyte as and when I feel necessary.

I understand that should I wish to upload from classic then only smart previews would be used and that will not affect data allowance. 

Would using both my laptop and desktop from home seamlessly integrate together with Lightroom on i pad?

Will i also be able to access photos on i phone if i upload catalogues from my desktop? Could i link my wife's phone so she can keep grandchildren pictures with her or is that not feasible?

many thanks

geoff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too many questions for one forum post.  So I'll answer what I think is most relevant before moving this from Get Started to Lightroom Classic forum where other experts will see it.

1. Yes, you may install Creative Cloud desktop apps on 2 devices -- home/work or desktop/laptop computers.

2. Desktop apps like PS, ACR, LR Classic, Bridge, etc... are for Win/Mac OS only. 

iOS & Android devices require special apps from the Apple or Google Play store.

Please ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements to run Creative Cloud+ all other apps you intend to use.  Requirements vary by product and platform.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you have done what Nancy has advised you will need to learn a bit more about the Adobe Photography Plan, which allows you to the following Applications, Photoshop CC, Lightroom Classic, Lightroom (cloud-centric desktop application).

Based on the info you have posted, my choice would be to go with this plan and install Photoshop and Lightroom Classic on the Desktop computer and install Lightroom(Cloud-Centric app) on your Laptop computer. This way you will be able to sync Lightroom Classic on your Desktop with Lightroom on the Laptop and all mobile devices e,g. iPad / Tablet and iPhone / Smart Phone. Bear in mind that you can only have one Lightroom Classic Catalog synced with your Creative Cloud Storage.

See the link below that will provide more detailed info.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/  

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Questions:

Would I be able to simply import my 5.7  Single catalogue straight into Lightroom classic? Or are there more complexities?

Could I install classic onto both my desktop and laptop?

Comment: If you install Lightroom Classic on the same computer it should recognise that you have an earlier version installed and offer the option to upgrade a copy of your Catalog to one that is compatible with Classic. There should be no need to import.  

Leaving me then to use "lightroom" on just my I pad for occasional times when I want to take some photos whilst away from home and edit them (whilst also using the same to access tutorials)

Comment: There is an APP for iPad and iPhone called Lightroom (Mobile) and if you sign on to your Adobe ID / Creative Cloud account, will sync with your Desktop and Laptop. Any number of mobile devices can be connected to your account. Just be aware that any changes/edits made on any device will sync to the Catalog and all devices. 

My intent is to purchase the 20gb and upgrade to 1 terabyte as and when I feel necessary.

I understand that should I wish to upload from classic then only smart previews would be used and that will not affect data allowance.

Comment: That is correct however files connected from Lightroom on the Laptop and the Mobile devices will upload Original Files to the Creative Cloud storage and affect the limit.

Would using both my laptop and desktop from home seamlessly integrate together with Lightroom on i pad?

Comment: Since you can only sync one (1) Lightroom Classic Catalog to the creative cloud you cannot sync Classic on the Desktop with Classic on the Laptop 

Will i also be able to access photos on i phone if i upload catalogues from my desktop? Could i link my wife's phone so she can keep grandchildren pictures with her or is that not feasible?

Comment: It's possible, within the limits of what I have stated in reply to other questions above.

many thanks

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Denis

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond and giving me the answers that I have been trying to find elsewhere. I have contacted Adobe customer services and despite pressing all i have had is "you need to buy photography 1tb plan" or indeed "you need to buy Lightroom 6!". The naming conventions have been confusing especially when I have been trying to find info from historic you tube posts. Your link to Lightroom Queen is also extremely useful thank you. I was on the verge of giving up.

Other quick questions:

If I decided to upload  my entire collection so I could access any photos anywhere (even if just for viewing only) would that be an extremely long process? That is of course it is only smart previews (and I have fibre broadband) but have no idea how big smart preview files are and how long that would take to do (or indeed if it's worthwhile).

I understand I would need to "manage" my 20gb closely so would it be easily feasible to upload from laptop or i pad then to delete from my allowance once I have the files on Lightroom classic.

My folder structure is (example) Holidays/Overseas/Cruises/Caribbean/2019-10-23. I understand that file structures don't exist via the cloud but that  uploading"albums" (collections on Lightroom classic) is the way this would work . So I assume that i would transfer  collections via Laptop or I pad then sort that collection into my existing file structure when they are on Lightroom Classic. Where feasible i would work with classic. I trust that makes sense to you!

Thank you once again for shining the light for me it is very much ppreciated. I just need to check my PC capability then I am good to go with the Photo package.

Best regards

Geoff 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good answers however I would suggest putting your catalog on an
external drive so you can plug it in to either the laptop and desktop.. I
usually use two laptops and keep my latest files and catalog on that so it
is plug and play!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The site that I referred you to is a great place to source info about because it is specifically devoted to Lightroom, with great tips and tricks. This forum also has lots of references to source free video tutorials.

Tip to begin your thought process, Lightroom Classic can sync from "Collections" you have created within the Lightroom Catalog and they will be displayed in the left panel of the Library Module. see the screen capture.

Important to recognise the "Collections" are not actual folders of images on your computer HDD they are just data in the Catalog the ones that I have synced and have a small double-sided arrow in the left side. 

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 8.01.04 AM.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again Dennis.

I get it that collections are not the actual data . But when I pad/i phone/  laptop sync take place does not the full image transfer as well as the data and if so where would the images reside- or am I dealing with data "only" whether I am moving smart previews from Lightroom Classic or image data from other devices to Lightroom classic.  To keep all my images backed up locally (which I do with external hard drive to desktop) would I  there fore need just to copy original photos from either photo sd cards or back up drive from I pad or Laptop. ( then how would the data link to the original pictures)

I have posted my PC system details elsewhere to ask if I have sufficient as I don't understand Adobes system requirement. But for info its Intel core I5 CPU 750 2.67 GHX 12gb Ram AMD Radeon 5700 4864 Mb Graphics memory 1024mb Video memory . Means nothing to me! 

Thanks again for your assitance

Best regards

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines