Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photography storage / backup solutions suitable for LR classic

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see what the Adobe community thought of my considered back up system. I am a hobbyist with a lot of photos (I've been snapping away for years!)

I use a mac book pro with the latest version of Catalina where my catalog file is. I want to buy something like the WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra, 4 TB - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BIGSSHQ?linkCode=ogi&th=1&tag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=dcw-gb-3194095... - a RAID  system (2x 2TB) this I will use for my photo storage. Although a 2-bay Synology and QNAP devices have also been suggested to me (NAS I believe). This is all new to me. 

I would then connect directly to this when at home so it would be my premier storage of photos.

I would then back up to a cloud system, not sure what yet. Suggestions welcome 🙂

What do you think? I must stress I am not a professional I do not get paid for photography it is all for my own pleasure.

I ask because at present and due to various reasons including traveling (trying to "work" remotely) and bad internet connections in various rental accommodations my photos are saved on a portable hard drive (WD passport for Mac) and also Dropbox (plus an extra hard drive stored at a family members) but this is not a particularly seamless way to do it as I'm sure you are all aware! I am now in a place with better internet (although not great so maybe something I can plug directly into would be best) and not traveling anywhere near as much, for obvious reasons! So I want to set up something more practical.  Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a reasonable amount of free disk space on tthe internal hard drive of the MacBook Pro, when traveling I would suggest importiing images to a folder on that drive and doing the editing on just the MacBook. Then, when you return home, you could move the images from that hard drrive to whatever you choose as your external storage device. If you use Lightroom to do that, all in the editing will follow and there should be very little housekeeping to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JimHess, that sounds like a good idea and much more practical than carrying a portable hard drive or using a cloud of some kind whilst on the move. I will check what free disk space I have 👍 thank you for replying. 
Just need to get a home drive set up now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Regarding cloud backups, I suggest Backblaze. Please keep in mind that the initial upload can takes days to months depending on your internet speed and what you plan on uploading.

https://www.backblaze.com/home-1.html?utm_term=backblaze&utm_campaign=Backblaze+General&utm_source=a...

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines