• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos missing in LrC after upgrade

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just prompted to upgrade to LrC so I did. I am now missing over 5000 photos. Most of them look like photos I have previously deleted, but some are favourites. I have tried to locate the photos and link them but I can't find them anywhere. I believe I was using LR not LrC when I upgraded and didn't notice. Could this be the problem? Is there a fix? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caroline,

I have a hunch that you opened a default Catalog that has no images in it. Please look around your computer for a file with a suffix "xxxxx.lrcat" where "xxxxx" is the name of the catalog. Once you find that, double-click it and you'll find all your images. 

Let me know what you find

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I've checked all catalogs and each one has missing files.
Many are the same photos. I switched computers at one point and started a
new catalog, then decided to merge catalogs so now I have 3 catalogs I'm
trying to sort out and clean up. It's a huge mess. I've been watching
videos and googling to figure out what to do. It's just a hobby so no big
loss. I should have learned more about lr before jumping in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also mention it still have thousands of photos that are there with no issues. Out if 14,000,  5000 are missing, they have either the smart preview white box at to right or exclamation mark at top left. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1609272578302.jpeg

GoldingD_1-1609272578304.png

GoldingD_2-1609272578304.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you perhaps have an external hard drive that is not plugged in or turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

External hard drive is plugged in. I ended up finding many of the missing photos in a file on my external hard drive called mobile downloads. All of them were imported from my SD card so I'm not sure how they got there or why the folder is called that. I did not create that folder. I've backed everything up now, so crisis averted. Photos that I couldn't find but had smart previews of I saved as jpegs in another folder as a backup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you still have that old computer? Are the missing images on it? Perhaps they did not get copied to the new computer?

Remember, photos are not stored in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't have the old computer, but I saved all folders to my external hard drive before I disposed of it. 

I just didn't know I had to tell Lightroom where to look. 

I'll be more careful in the future when switching things over. 

Thanks so much for your replies and help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the good things and "less than good" things about LRC is that it doesn't care where the images are located. It just want to know where to look and is then happy.

What I've done to keep my sanity is to keep ALL of LRC's images in one folder (and as many subsequent sub-folders as I see fit). Then if I ever need to relocate images, I just have to go to that one folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines