• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photos moved by themselves

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom classic. Files moved after I created a folder with the same name inside my export folder which is seperate. All done in Lightroom. After I created the new folder and went back to the main folder it showed empty. I eventually found the photos in totally a different drive than the one it was imported to - (via an edit done in photoshop 2021 earlier) . I tried to import the photos from that drive but Lightroom gives a message that the photos are already in the cataloge. 

Does anybody have a possible solution I would not like to lose my edits.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images are still in the catalog then that editing should still be associated with the images. That editing is associated with the image, not the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are describing simple does not happen unless there was USER intervention. LrC does not do this and never has.

It only does what the person that is using the program tells it to do. There is No A.I. (or Stupid (Lack Of) intelligence) in LrC import or export or Folder and File systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviuosly something made it move. I did not tell it to move any folder. In the interrest of possibly identifying a bug I need to add the following. There were no copying or moving actions involved. The folder where the photos were imported originally was created in my 2020 folder. After my edits done I went to my export folder and by right clicking I created a new folder under my export folder. ( I used the same name but it was a subfolder of a different folder than the original. ). After creating this new folder I went back to the original folder with the intenion of starting exports, only to find the folder empty. There was no prompt or any other action taken than what I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-importing photos is always the wrong thing to do. Since the photos are in your catalog, but in a folder where you don't want them to be, then re-importing will not help (and will not retain your edits).

To retain your edits:

The solution is to move the photo — using Lightroom — to the folder where you want it to be.

It may be that when you try this move using Lightroom, you are not allowed to do the move because a photo of that name already exists in the operating system folder where you want it to be. If that happens, using your operating system, delete the photo from the folder where you want it to be; and then in Lightroom, move the photo.

Also, neither Lightroom nor your operating system can move photos by themselves. Simply cannot happen. However, human error can cause photos to move, and it may appear that the photos moved by themselves, but of course, they did not move by themselves. In many situations, people have imported photos accidentally using the COPY option when they thought they were using the ADD option, and when this happens, Lightroom thinks the photos are in a different folder than the user thinks they are in. This is a common problem, it happens a lot, and sounds like a possible explanation of what happened to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I will try to move it. I found the files via explorer as Lightroom could not pick it up. Can you possibly help me with a way in which I can see the photos in Lightroom in order to move them. (The original folder shows empty in lightroom as well as when I look at the that folder in explorer there is no file. It is in totally a different hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To find photos in Lightroom. Follow all of these four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Once you find a photo in Lightroom, you can right-click on it and select "Open in Explorer" to see what folder Lightroom thinks it is in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your advice. I went to the original folder in Lightroom which showed empty, right clicked and chose update location. Went to the folder I picked them up and at the prompt chose merge. I then created a new name in my 2020 folder in the hard drive I wanted it in. Back to the merged folder selected all the images and moved them to the new folder. I now have all my files with their edits where I want them. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our posts must have crossed each other. For that reason I only saw your response after my bash at it. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Folder panel does not show the tree like Explorer/Finder shows it, do a

right-click, "show parent" 

Repeat as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you I will try this option in future. Appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This, I suspect, is what happened to the OP:

The option to [Include selected photos] was checked.

This option 'moves' all the selected photos to the 'new' folder that is created.

ScreenShot046.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have not noticed these choices and it is a possibility that unknowingly I did such a selection or the one just above it. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines