Highlighted

photoshop is not an export option in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Adobe recently updated my Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Now, when I try to export a photo out of Lightroom into Photoshop I'm not given the option to choose Photoshop in the Export window. My only options are Email, Hard Drive, CD/DVD or another Program I use for photos. Not Photoshop.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks,
Mick~

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

photoshop is not an export option in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Adobe recently updated my Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Now, when I try to export a photo out of Lightroom into Photoshop I'm not given the option to choose Photoshop in the Export window. My only options are Email, Hard Drive, CD/DVD or another Program I use for photos. Not Photoshop.

Can someone please assist?

Thanks,
Mick~

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the exported image to open in Photoshop, you can set this under Post processing at the bottom of the Export dialog.

If you want to edit the image in Photoshop, and have the edited image return to Lightroom, right click the image, and choose Edit in Photoshop, or press Cmd + E.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the EXPORT dialog to export a photo and you want to then have it automatically open in Photoshop- Set Photoshop in the 'Post Processing' panel of the Export dialog-

ScreenShot109.jpg

Why are you not using the [Ctrl+E] 'Edit-In' function in Lr-Classic? No export required!

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? cause I wasn't aware of that option. Also, in your screenshot....that is exactly where I cannot choose Photoshop, and I want to.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also, when I try your suggestion of Ctrl + E Nothing happens but a noise like that action is denied.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actually have Photoshop installed on your system?

It is a separate Adobe program and needs to be installed before you can send images to that program from LR Classic.

It is not part of LR even though the full name of LR Classic is Photoshop Lightroom Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a serious query or are you being sarcastic? I am well aware of the two separate applications.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was a serious inquiry. I don't know you and have no idea what You Know and what you Don't Know.

Leave no stone unturned.

So then what exact versions of both LR Classic and PS are installed on your system.

Please state the exact version numbers and not just say the newest, up to date, versions

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 21.1.1

LR Classic 9.2

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you may have to reinstall PS 2020 from the CC DTA. You may have to uninstall first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that. can you please tell me what the CC DTA means?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud Desktop App.

2020-03-13 09_12_20-Inbox - Gmail Edc45 - Mozilla Thunderbird.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a try, and Thank you! I'll post the results after I do the reinstall.

Mick~

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'After Export' field has a drop-down menu where you can select "Open in Adobe Photoshop 2020" from the default list-

ScreenShot170.jpg

If you do not see Photoshop in this menu then a re-install of Photoshop may be needed.

The [Choose] option button will only become active if you want an external program that does NOT appear in the default list-

And you have selected "Open in Other Application"-

ScreenShot171.jpg

To choose another Application after pressing [Choose] you would then navigate to the App in your File Browser window that opens.

eg. I can add Nik Silver Efex by navigating to -{C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)}

EDIT IN PHOTOSHOP (Julianne Kost) Video

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been doing it this way for years...after the update...it's not an option

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which update are you referring to? LR or PS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you Right Click on an image and bring up the pop up menu and then go to "Edit In" is PS 2020 listed and if it is it looks active and not greyed out (None Active)?

2020-04-11 21_01_11-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does work but it goes into PS as a JPG and I want it to go in as a Tif and open Raw Options in PS . The way you have laid out, it will not do that. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 0
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You control that by the setting in the LR Preferences on External editing tab.

2020-04-12 06_28_45-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Your problem could of been caused by Photoshop not being opened after you did whatever resent update you did. Without first opening PS to actually registerit with the OS and with LR did see that it was installed and or active.

And as below by per. You have Photomatix selected, a Check Mark for that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0
Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have chosen Export to Photomatix, which is apparently a plugin for Lightroom.

When you choose this option, the Post processing option at the bottom of the Export dialog will be hidden.

For that option to appear, you have to choose Export to Hard drive.

image.png

That does work but it goes into PS as a JPG and I want it to go in as a Tif and open Raw Options in PS

Using the Edit in Photoshop command does not open a jpg in PS, unless the original is a jpg.

If you want to Edit a 16-bit tiff in PS using Edit in, the original has to be a raw file. (or a tiff), and you have to set the file type to 16-bit tiff in the LR preferences > External editing.

If you shoot raw, the file will open silently in the Camera Raw plugin for PS, where the adjustments from LR are applied, and then open as a tiff in PS. When you save the file, it will appear next to the original in Lightroom.

And the edits that you can do in the Camera Raw plugin or the Camera Raw filter in PS are identical to the edits you can do in Lightroom.

For best results, shoot raw, and use the Edit in Photoshop command for edits that you can't do in Lightroom.

I suspect that you are shooting jpg, which is a compressed 8-bit format that throws away a lot of image information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2020 0