• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not saving back to Lightroom after editing.

Contributor ,
Dec 23, 2018 Dec 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not cataloging my edited photos like it used to. After making adjustments in Photoshop and saving, theses files are not appearing back in LR. Here's a short video to demonstrate. Why and how to fix?

Lightroom Classic CC 2019, Photoshop CC 2019

Windows 10. PC works perfect, great card 32GB Ram, GEforece GTX 1070 video card.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem is strange.

I run Lr-Classic v8.1 with no problems on Windows-10 32GB ram, GEforce GTX1050 video card.

And I never have problems with tiff images returning to the Lr Library- they always do.

So it would suggest it is something peculiar and particular to your system.

My thoughts are just the oft repeated suggestions-

Reset Preferences for BOTH Lightroom and Photoshop.

Un-install then Re-install both Ps and Lr  (using the CC Desktop App)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robert, I was able to get it back by resetting both LR and PS preferences. I'll need to mess about with it again tomorrow to see if it (the problem) comes back, and if so, does a preference reset solve the issue again? But it's a good step, first time I've gotten it working without having to restart. Thanks for the input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of save in PS do a close. You have to close it in PS before the import will be accomplished.

of course, answer yes, when PS inquires if it should save before closing.

oh, you could save, then do more work, save again, or perhaps work on another and save to your hearts content. But for it to import into LR, you need to close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

You have to close it in PS before the import will be accomplished.

Not so in my system! (as above Post#1)

I simply click 'Save' and the new tiff is in the Library Grid next to the original raw.

If I swap windows back to Photoshop, with the image still in place,  and adjust the image further, then 'Save' again- the thumbnail in Lr is updated with the new edits in Ps.

But your suggestion may help the OP with his experience.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Their might also be a preference setting, that I forget, in PS to fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, should have asked, what PS version, would not surprise me if one version back this all worked better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have the "Latest" versions! And it works great for me as expected.

ScreenShot116.jpg

ScreenShot115.jpg

Hopefully the OP can get an answer that fixes it for him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, went back in, works on mine also. So not able to recreate OP issue, and yes, I se  the OP has answered back that I missed that being tried in the video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes both latest version: PS is 20.0.1

LR is version 8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry David, closing did not work either. See 60 second video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shay,

We have not yet seen the Version Numbers of both Lr and Ps you are using. (or have we?)

And are your originals stored in a NAS Raid?  (Some problems reported with these)

Could also be helpful to run the {Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner} tool, before re-installing Lr & Ps.

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was so simple and so super useful, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using google for this issue, one thread mentions the capitalization error issue. Now it is hard to see in the video, so perhaps a screen capture. Your folders panel, looks like a double instance, or perhaps you have multiple drives in your structure, but hard to see.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/lightroom-not-showing-files-after-editing-in-photos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, yes I see what you are referring to. I had moved the file at some point, but that old entry was not causing any issue. I've since removed that catalog entry. Good thinking though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem.

Lightroom 2.4.1

Photoshop 20.0.6

- From LR, open file to Photoshop

- Edit photo in PS

- Save and close file in PS

- Go to LR, The save file is not visible.

Before I used older version of LR and PS, but with MacOS update to Catalina, I was obliged to change version.

Any solution ?

Crazyshoot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong forum, this forum is for Lightroom Classic.

Follwup

Did you just migrate to the subscription model?

The old desktop style Lightroom, that goes back to a Lightroom 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. The one where you keep the photos on a local drive is now called Lightroom Classic

In the subscription model downloads  the cloud based app you run on your PC but save to the cloud is Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did mistake by installing LightRoom Cloud, and not classic. So I would like to apologize for my mistake 😉

With Classic, ALL is good !

Crazyshoot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same strange problem.

1. Image in Lightroom Classic, edit externally in Photoshop 2020.

2. Finish work in PS, and like you, it would not save a new stacked image with the original back in LRC.

Here's what solved the problem for me.

1. In PS, I was using an action. Somehow, an additional step was added to my action. That step was called "save". At the end of the action, this new "save" step (that I don't think I put there) would rename the file to something completely different.

2. When I deleted that step in the action, eveything returned to normal.

Hope that helps. MB 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I periodically have the same bug. Flatten image. Negates being able to reopen and change edits, but does let the photo save back to Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines