Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Poor performance of DNG-Files

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

so I have this weird issue that Lightroom is basically unusable if - and only if - the used file format is DNG. Opening the Develop-Module approximately 15-20s in which the whole application freezes (Windows claims: App not responding), edits not visible for approximately 5-10s, changing the mouse position from somewhere in the ui over the image = freeze for 1s. Two things are weird: First of all the resources of my system are not used. CPU, GPU and Memory are still plenty avaiable. Second: This only happens for DNG files. I have edited some of the files using Photoshop and saved them back as PSD or Tiff - perfect performance in both applications. The said DNG files have not been a problem in Lightroom 6 - which I was using up to know. Files have been created externally (not Copy as DNG on import)

To get some things out of the way:
No Sync to Lightroom CC

No Face Recognition

No XMP

No Effect of Enabling / Disabling GPU

No Effect of using OnBoard or Dedicated GPU (Laptop)

No issues with other Formats

Technical:

Lightroom Classic-Version: 8.0 [ 1193777 ]

Core i5-8250U

8GB Ram

Drive: SSD

Screen: 1920 x 1080 - Color Calibrated using DisplayCal

Let me know if you need any further information.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlashMuller  wrote

The said DNG files have not been a problem in Lightroom 6 - which I was using up to now. Files have been created externally (not Copy as DNG on import)

Did this start immediately after upgrading from LR 6 to LR 8.0? If so try the suggestions at the below link.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/standard-lightroom-troubleshooting-steps/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went through the list (except for reinstall, which I might (have to) try tonight), no effect.

One thing I realized: When selecting a TIF-File the load on the CPU is as I would expect: A short spike and then back to idle, 3 Seconds max. Opening a DNG-File the system will go to something between 30 and 50% with spikes up to 70% for minutes before returning to idle. Making a single change will start it all over. A rendering issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to add which will void my previous guess of a rendering issue: Exporting DNG-Files takes way longer than TIF as well. Seems to be somehow format related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera make, model and file type was the original file and how were the DNG files created? I suggested posting one of the DNG files with the issue to a file sharing site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you created the DNG files, how did you do that? Were these created during import? Were they created later via Export? Were they created outside of Lightroom via Adobe DNG converter\?Or perhaps a third party RAW converter?

All these have various settings that can effect DNG file size, Are the original RAW files embedded in the DNG file (Makes them Huge)? Is a preview image (JPEG???) embedded in the DNG file (usually not a big deal), Compressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Camera is Fujifilm X-T2. But I use Iridient Transformer before importing to Lightroom to convert the RAF-Files to DNGs.

I can't really post the DNGs as they are from a corporate portrait session and we have the GDPR..

Anyway, I just reimported them to a new Catalog and the behaviour is as expected, the performance good.

EDIT: At least it was at first. After having used the catalog for several minutes it dropped back to the previous state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: File Size is somewhere around 60MB each. Catalog is at 20MB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okaaaay.... I now copied the source files from the internal ssd (SanDisk SD9SN8W 256GB) to my external SSD (USB3.0, SanDisk SSD Plus 512GB). Issue resolved. How is that possible?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be your 256 ssd was full?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both partitions on the internal SSD provide 60GB of free space at this point. The photos copied occupied less than 1GB on the respective drive.

I will do a performance check this evening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that this point from Just Shoot Me is very valid. Lots of free HDD disk space is vital to the efficient functioning of your operating system. The screen capture from Adobe advice on Optimising performance for Lightroom.

Screenshot 2018-12-13 at 10.03.23 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this interation did you use Iridient to convert or were they converted in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will assume the answer to this is no, but just in case

in previous event, the folder in Lightroom was the SD card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a new release of X Transformer. Are you using that?

In my experiments using X trans does not help in any way with Fuji files. In fact in some of my tests the results were worse than using LR all by itself. Personally I think X Trans is Snake Oil sales, lots of hype, no reward.

I also use a Fuji X-T2 (and X-E2) but import the native RAF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlashMuller  wrote

I can't really post the DNGs as they are from a corporate portrait session and we have the GDPR..

Please shoot a few pictures of something you can post and process/convert the RAF files to DNGs the exact same way. Import them into a new catalog and see if these exhibit the same issue? If so post a few to a file sharing site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines