• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to create a log of each LR import? i.e. way to track PREVIOUS-previous import, and so on..

Participant ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each time I important images there's a "Previous Import" folder containing these images. 

Is it possible to create a log/record of each previous import? I'm not sure how this could be achieved, but may be possible so through smart collections or a setting I'm unaware of, which is why I ask. 

Let me propose a use case if you're wondering why I may want such a folder:

If I import a timelapse that occured over the course of months/years, and forgot to create a collection with all those previously imported files, it can be difficult or impossible to easily select those files together once I've done another import. This is because the files get spread over many days and hence many library folders so selecting "Go To Folder In Library" is of no use. Of course one can select for metadata as a workaround but not if I have multiple timelapses running with matching specs, such as one would have with multiple go pros set up and running in parallel. 

If there was a log, or history, of previously imported, it would more than anything allow me the ability to select those files together in a way I cannot do otherwise. And forgetting to add files from individual cards/imports to seperate collections can be blaffling difficult to do after the fact. 

Much less important of a reason but having a history/log/record would also allow me to better confirm all images from the multiple cameras I work with at once, have been imported by having the redundency of flipping through each past import before formatting.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to search by date of import. A number of people have requested such a feature:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/feature-request-add-a-filter-to-smart-collections-to-sort-by-date-imported-added

Please add your constructive opinion to this feature request and be sure to click Vote and Follow in the upper-right corner. Tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are using Lightroom Classic, not Lightroom so I am going to move your question over to that forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Theresa, fingers crossed someone can help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Unfortunately, there isn't any way to search by date of import. A number of people have requested such a feature:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/feature-request-add-a-filter-to-smart-collect...

Please add your constructive opinion to this feature request and be sure to click Vote and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

Meanwhile, I think your only option is to remember to add imported photos to a collection or add a keyword to them. Do you know that you can do that conveniently in the Import window?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, all great advice. 

Adding each import to a collection is the unfortunately workaround I've been using however didn't consider adding a keywork template, possible including date and suquence, to uniquly for each import.

Thanks for taking the time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be more precise, it would have to be an Import preset that includes keywords applied in the Import dialog box. An Import preset can contain many other settings, so you could for example create an Import preset that copies photos to a subfolder for a specific time lapse project.

I have an Import preset for time lapses. The reason I created it was because it uses a slightly different file naming template, so that images taken for a time lapse sequence have a different file name ending than images that are single photos. This helps me distinguish them from non-time-lapse images.

However, creating a time-lapse Import preset still leaves the problem of having to remember to make sure that preset is selected at import.

(For most other imports, when I’m not shooting a time lapse, I apply a different Import preset, so I’m used to checking for that one.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the Collections limit in Lightroom, but I think that is the answer; unfortunately though it will not be retrospective for you.

Respectfully, you workflow needs to include this immediately after each import and that might be more about "training your brain" than anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines