Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preview Cache error keeps persisting

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have looked all over the forums and tried all the solutions but to no avail. The error is ""Lightroom encountered and error when reading from its preview cache and needs to quit"

I have deleted everything but it keeps on giving me this error.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens after you have deleted the Previews.lrdata folder?

Does Lightroom work for a while, and then give the same error the next time you try to open it?

Or do you get the error immediately after deleting the Previews.lrdata folder?

If it works for a while, there could be something wrong with your hard drive, causing corruption of the previews.

If the error returns immediately, my guess is that you have several catalogs, and are deleting the previews for a different catalog than the one you're trying to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I delete the ones I need to, then sometimes lightroom will work, sometimes I need to restart my PC to get it to work. But no matter what I do, it keeps happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, there is probably something wrong with your hard drive, and you should run a test/diagnostic program on it.

If you haven't already done so, you should immediately back up all important files on this drive.

You can also try moving the catalog to a different drive, and if this fixes the problem, it is a confirmation that your hard drive is failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you recommend any specific programs to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really familiar with any of these programs. but if you search for "check hard drive for errors" or similar on Google, you should get plenty of results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran checks on the drive, and it is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then I would try to copy the catalog to a different drive, and see how that works out. If you only have one drive and no external drive, see if you can borrow an external drive. If you get no preview cache corruption with an external drive, there is something wrong with your hard drive.

I probably can't help you any further than that - I am no expert on hardware.

But in the nine years I have used Lightroom (on something like five computers), I have never had problems with the preview cache.

I guess I've been lucky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines