• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Previous Lightroom version with new camera?

Contributor ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently use Lightroom version 5.7 which works fine with  my Canon camera body. I'm considering getting a new body to replace my existing one. Obviously the new body came out after my Lightroom version so it won't read the raw files. As a workaround could I simply import the new raw files as DNG files and be able to use them?  I am trying to hold off getting another Lightroom version as I am so familiar with my current version.  I went to the Julianne Kost Adobe site and she explained the value of importing raw files as dng but didn't elaborate enough to clarify this issue for me. Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

You are correct in that a new camera = new file format = need new software to read the new file format.

To read the raw files directly, LR needs to be updated:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Alternatively, you can download the current DNG converter and convert the raw files to DNG files, then import the DNG files into Lightroom. Using DNG files has its pros and cons, but the DNG files are readable by your version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct in that a new camera = new file format = need new software to read the new file format.

To read the raw files directly, LR needs to be updated:

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Alternatively, you can download the current DNG converter and convert the raw files to DNG files, then import the DNG files into Lightroom. Using DNG files has its pros and cons, but the DNG files are readable by your version of LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Joe for the helpful quick response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines