• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print resolution question in lightroom setup

Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why some of my raw photos in lightroom classic are automatically set at 240 ppi while others are 300.

Does arbitrarrily increasing the resolution to 300 ppi degrade the print outcome at all?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

It's sticky but to answer the question as to what to have stick:

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/photography-workflow/the-right-resolution/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digital images do not have, or need, a "Resolution" value. Digital images have Pixel Dimensions.

Only when you print your photo to paper (or Re-size an image) might Resolution be considered for "quality" reasons. (eg. Does your image have enough pixels to render a quality image at the paper size you are printing?)

I like to think of ppi and dpi as totally separate things-

"ppi"- The number of image pixels that will occupy 1 inch or print paper. (eg. 300ppi)

"dpi" - The number of INK squirts (dots) that the inkjet printer will place within 1 inch of the paper. (eg. Printer capable of 1400dpi)

The article in this link should be headed The Myth of PPI !! the author is writing as if ppi and dpi are the same thing, but it does help to explain 'ppi'.

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2019 Dec 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THanks WobertC but I did mention in the original post this was for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sticky but to answer the question as to what to have stick:

https://www.digitalphotopro.com/technique/photography-workflow/the-right-resolution/

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines