• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing in LR Classic from an image edited and currently in PS

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner in PS and LR Classic but would like to always print from LR Classic.  I have read that one should always start by importing a RAW image in LR Clasic to prepare it for printing. BUT it looks like after I import a RAW image from my camera through Bridge-Camera RAW- then into PS, edit it in PS, the same image is transformed into a "psd" file.  I don't understand the difference?!? 

Assuming the psd file is the same thing as a RAW file viewd by LR Classic, what is the best way to move it directly from PS to LR Classics?     PLEASE SEE UPDATED QUESTION BELOW!

THANKS All!

wd

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FOLLOW UP from above...

When I IMPORT a RAW image from my camera card into LR Classic it shows in LR as a "DNG" file.  When I move it to PS using the "EDIT IN" command -- make some edits in PR -- then use the "SAVE" command in PS, the PS-edited image does re-appear in LR, but now with a ".tif" label.  Is that normal, and can I move ahead and reliably PRINT from that ".tif" file.  (Again, I had read earlier that in LR one should PRINT from a RAW file. (???)

THANKS again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote ”(Again, I had read earlier that in LR one should PRINT from a RAW file. (???)”

Simply put the answer is ” No ”, since any edits applied outside Lightroom i.e. Photoshop or a LR plugin will result in a tiff, jpeg etc rendered file. You can only print from a raw file from Lightroom where the edits were applied solely applied in Lightroom.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DdeGannes,

Thank you so much for your quick, well-written response and counsel. Please educate me:

After getting back into photography from a long abscense, I have already spent the past year learnng PS as an editing tool, but now, want to start doing my own fine art printing.  Since I don't want to have to "re-learn" what I have learned about editing in PS, it looks like I need to also PRINT from PS.  On the other hand, several people I know (and I have read that...) it is much better and more straight-forward to do printing in LR Classic (I have already seen this to be true!). So -- from what you advise, if I want to edit in PS, I need to limit myself to printing in PS as well, and give up any notion of printing edited PS images in LR Classic.  

Am I correct -- or am I missing something?

Regars and Thanks again.  Hope you and your family can 100% avoid COVID-19.

wayne

412 860-5700

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done limited printing from Lightroom and to a lesser extent Photoshop as my go to print procedure is another application. That said the features in both Photoshop and Lightroom are considered top of the line and should provide excellent results.

Lightroom can print directly from a raw file and apply all the edits done in Lightroom, apply print sharpening and resize the image to the appropriate size for the chosen dimensions, to present the data to your printer driver. This means that the printer driver does not have to interfere with the data.

Photoshop does not do this automatically you first have to create the file and save as a tiff, jpg.

Maybe other users can provide more views.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wayne,

You can Print any image using Lightroom-Classic.

It can be a raw, DNG, JPG, TIF, PSD, file. It does not matter.

If you can see the photo in the Lightroom-Classic catalog (and you 'develop/edit' in Lr) then Lightroom can print it by selecting the photo and opening the Print Module.

You may only need to use Photoshop if there is some editing you need to do that is not possible in Lr.

If your original photo is a proprietary 'raw' or DNG type file, then if you take it to Photoshop, you will always create a new RGB file as a  TIF or PSD (& JPG).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC --

Thank you very much for your input -- I really appreciate your quick response.  But ... I'm not sure I was clear enough in my first post.  I have been learning to edit in PS (only) for the past year or two, and so I am reluctant to have to re-learn everything in LR.  

So, my question is: After I edit an image in PS, can I move it back to LR Classic only to use LR's Print module?  When I move it to LR it seems to automatically becaome a ".tif" file.

Thanks again.

wayne d.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can I move it back to LR Classic only to use LR's Print module?

Yes, of course!

Two situations-

1) If an image was already in the Lr Catalog and you 'send' it to Photoshop by the [Ctrl+E] 'Edit in Photoshop' option, then when you complete all your Photoshop edits, you [Save] the image (NOT a Save As), and the Ps photo will appear back in the Lr Catalog ready to print. (TIF or PSD optional)

2) If the original file is NOT in the Lr catalog, and you open directly in Ps, then Lightroom has no knowledge of this file, and you have to Import it to have it in the catalog to print. (PSD is the default)

it seems to automatically becaome a ".tif" file.

And what format are your Ps files?

Photoshop can only edit Bitmap files.

[Ctrl+E] 'Edit in Ps' will create a TIF or PSD file! The filetype option is set in the Lr Preferences. It is an option you set- PSD or TIF.

Reading your first post again-

after I import a RAW image from my camera through Bridge-Camera RAW- then into PS, edit it in PS, the same image is transformed into a "psd" file. I don't understand the difference?!?

So the two processes can differ-

1)  Bridge <> Ps <> PSD    (Nothing is in Lightroom UNTIL you Import this PSD file to the Lr catalog!)

2)  Lightroom <> Ps <> TIFF or PSD  ( The Edit-in function and [Save] in Ps will save the file as TIF or PSD- your preference in Lr!)

You can make everything easier if you ditch Bridge and adopt Lightroom-Classic as your image management program! (Import, keyword, make Collections, etc) AND use everything you have learned in Photoshop- lucky you!!

Lightroom OR Bridge

EDIT IN PHOTOSHOP (Julianne Kost) Video

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC,

This is a test message.  Having trouble responding to your helpful message to me yesterday.

wayne desbrow

wdesbrow@zoominternet.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WrobertC,

THANK YOU -- Your message yesterday was 100% ON!

On question:  You said:   "Bridge - PS - PSD (Nothing in Lightroom until you import this PSD file into the LR ctalogue"

I pulled up a new image (through CameraRaw) into PS, edited it, then saved it with a SAVED AS into a new location on my hard drive. I saved the same image using BOTH file desginations: .tif and and .psd.  Then I imported them BOTH for the first time from my hard drive into LR. They BOTH seemed to import properly into LR!

Q: Is one type of file better than the other for importing and Printing in LR?  Which one should I use?

BTW -- The first time I did a SAVE AS to my hard drive in PS the default seemed to be saving it as a .tif fie on my hard drive.  There didn't seem to be any way of changing this -- if it is a default.

I get your comment about "lucky you."  Learning PS is a genine PITA!  Very Painful.

THANKS AGAIN

wd 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Q: Is one type of file better than the other for importing and Printing in LR? Which one should I use?

BTW -- The first time I did a SAVE AS to my hard drive in PS the default seemed to be saving it as a .tif fie on my hard drive. There didn't seem to be any way of changing this -- if it is a default.

From what I have read there is very little difference between PSD and TIF.

Both formats support layers, text, etc.

TIF is more universally identified by other software.(PSD is Ps specific only)

TIF files can be saved with compression.

PSD only can use some special features in Photoshop. (I do not remember what they are! Edit: Files compatible with Adobe Illustrator is one.)

I always use TIF as my Lr>Ps default and have never encountered restrictions or problems.

The default file created from Ps is set in the Lr preferences. You decide which YOU want to use (PSD or TIF)

The video link from Julianne Kost given above describes this very well.

You can Print ANY file from the Lr Catalog. If it is in the library you can print it! I never even consider what file-type an image is when printing on my inkjet. (sending files to a lab is something different! My lab accepts TIF and JPG)

DON"T USE [SAVE AS] in Photoshop if you have sent the image FROM LIGHTROOM.!!!

Only a [SAVE] and [CLOSE] in Ps will 'return' the new image file to the Lr library.

Oh, and my last tip- Import EVERY photo image in your comuter. Let Lightroom be your DAM software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines