• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prints are a disaster after upgrading printer. Why?

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Windows 10.) I have been printing happily for several years through Lightroom Classic using Epson R2880 printer. I upgraded to Epson R3000, and my prints are a total disaster; colours are not even remotely correct.

The problem is not the priner, as I have printed directly from Windows photo viewer, bypassing Lightroom altogether, and results are perfectly reasonable.

But whatever I try doing through Lightroom does not work. In Lightroom I have changed Profile (in Color management) to 'Managed by printer' - and got dire results.

I have tried letting Lightroom take over colour management as I used to. I realise I am not using quite the correct profile, as I am still using my old profile for Epson R2880 and correct paper profile. (I am having difficulty finding the profile for the R3000 and the paper I use.) I cannot believe the problem is that I don't have exactly the right profile - the results are so, so bad. And anyway, if the profile were the problem then prints should be reasonable when I hand control/color management to the printer, but they are not, they are awful.

The problem has to be communication between LR and new printer? But I have selected the correct printer in bottom right - so LR is seeing the R3000 and I am selecting that.

I must be doing something very basic very wrong(?). Any ideas.

(By way, paper is Brilliant Supreme Lustre Ultimate, from Calumet; but even on manufacturers website I cannot find a profile for that paper and Epson R3000 - when I download what they suggest it is for either Glacier or Glossy, which is somewhat confusing, but a separate issue no doubt).

Thanks for any suggestions.

All best, Graham Pears

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually a problem with the printer driver even if it is only Lightroom that has a problem. Typically you want to uninstall the driver, download a new copy from Epson (the ones in windows or mac os X autoupdate are usually out of date) and install it and reconnect to the printer. Something to try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks for the tip. Appreciate your time. Will certainly give that a
try.

All best, Graham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jao - i took your advice and reinstalled driver. Then I was able to see, properly, the full printer properties - I have now prevented printer making colour adjustments - stopped LR and printer fighting each other. My bright orange prints are now rather too green and cold. But you put me on right path. Simple really. Since most of us do these things (change printers) once in a blue moon it is easy to forget/overlook the basics - like driver update.

So thanks for the pointer. All best, Graham P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the box of paper, a info sheet should have been included. It might list alternate icc profiles. That is use Epson so and so paper profile if Calumet (or is it Brilliant) is not available.

And is not Calumet gone? I see no websites?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. You are right that the calumet website no longer seems to work, but I have found a current link to manufacturer:

https://www.brilliantpaper.eu/en/pages/brilliant-supreme

However, I am not at all convinced that the profiles given really are the right ones. In any event the colours still look odd. A lot better now that I have updated driver and prevented it from competing with LR (by adjusting the printer's properties directly, to no colour adjustment). Before that my prints were bright orange; now they have a strong green cast instead, with too little red/orange. 

I know these printer issues are not easy to get right, but I think I am on the path now. Will soldier on...

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines