• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem (big) with Upgrade to LR Classic 9

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro, with last Updates, 32 GB RAM, Intel 6 Core: Yesterday I did the update to LR C Vers 9, but before done backups. no problem with two smaller Catalog. BUT the main Catalog with about 80,000 images (Catalog-size 960 MB) had an error message "There was a problem updating the format of the Catalog file in Lightroom. This Catalog can not be used with this Lightroom version." After about 75% the upgrade will be cancelled. It was not possible to upgrade the Catalog, even with the backup-file. Also the Help.informations from Adobe wasn`t helpful. I tried it also with older backups, but still the same problem.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
have you tryed to use the command "Import from catalogue...". So you create a new catalog and import the information from the previus catalog.
Keep us informed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I also tried this possibility. Also, the backup I made the day before will be aborted with the same error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem.  Upgraded LR Classic from ver 8.4.1 to ver 9.0.  Got the "upgrade file format" screen when I opened the app.  Clicked Continue and saw "probems encounered message."  Did what the Tech Note said - delected [.....].lrcat.lock and re launched ver 9.0. Got the same "upgrade file format...' message.  So, I uninstalled LR Classic ver 9.0 and reinstalled LR Classic ver 8.4.1.  I only have around 18,000 images.  I assume Adobe will fix one of these days.  Maybe they have too many versions of LR???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everything you suggested. Reinstallation is not possible because I have already converted two smaller catalogs to the new Version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have already converted two smaller catalogs to the new Version."

Reverting should not be a (big) problem as with every Catalog you update- Lr updates a 'copy' with an added "-2", and leaves behind an 'original' catalog.

eg. Update- CatalogA.lrcat (v8.4.1)  > CatalogA-2.lrcat(v9.0) + CatalogA.lrcat(v8.4.1)

eg. Update- CatalogB.lrcat (v8.4.1)  > CatalogB-2.lrcat(v9.0) + CatalogB.lrcat(v8.4.1)

Now if you do revert back to Lr v8.4.1 then you need to isolate (move or rename) any updated "-2" catalogs, and double-click the 'original' catalogs to open with v8.4.1.

Continue with v8.4.1 until you can get answers to your problematic catalog update.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all possibilities. Nothing worked.
Finally I have the version 8.4.1 installed again. The database works fine again.

But now, if I want to use the two catalogs already ported in LR 9, I have to uninstall LR 8.4.1 again and install LR 9. Just terrible, already the thought of it :-((
I hope there will coming soon a problem solution from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Lightroom CC Classic V9.0. The software requires that the catalog is updated, but it seems to be getting stuck on "Adding Depth Information to Catalog". I have my catalog on my "C" drive, and my files are located on an external drive. I have about 56,000 images in my catalog. I contacted an Adobe tech, and while nice enough, he was clueless.  I ended up reverting to 8.41 and now I can work again.  As far as I know, this depth information is only related to iphone files.  I will stick with 8.41 until Adobe resolves this.  Stuff like this plus the general speed/performance issues with Lightroom Classic make looking for alternative software very appealing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could solve the problem :-))

I have taken the following steps:
1) LR 8.4.1 reinstalled
2) created a new empty catalog
3) "problem catalog" (1TB, 80,000 photos) with LR 8.4.1 imported into the new empty catalog, optimized and done backup for safety.
4) LR 9 reinstalled and ported the new catalog in LR9 format. IT WORKS now without problems !!!

Thanks for all these ideas for problem solving.
In the exclusion process, I came up with this successful solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. LR tries to update the old catalogue and fails with the message "There was a problem updating the format of the Catalog file in Lightroom. This Catalog can not be used with this Lightroom version." (or the Germand equivalent).

I'm really tired about issues with the catalogue as I have so many topics with it since LR 2 or LR 3 already.

Is there any chance that Adobe will provide a solution? I even tried to do an SQL-dump and import to a new catalogue which helped in many cases in the past - this time it did not.

Some addition: As I had problems in the past, I perform regulat updates including integrity checks and optimizations. All ran well nevertheless it's not working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

unfortunately I ´ve got also many troubles with my Lightroom Classic - since I got the newest Adobe updates. It crashes all the time, the making of "time lapse" videos is not possible anymore. When I start "lightroom" I get a message "catalog not found, try to chose another one". These and similary problems are identical of my two absolut different laptops ( very fast CPU, 8 GB RAM, TBs Harddisc, the newest Win10 Updates ), and they appear since newest Adobe Updates. I have already uninstalled and installed Lightroom again, but it doesn´t work! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm experiencing this upgrade problem also. I'm not sure if this is related but the last upgrade had "issues" like this. I finally discovered that video files were the culprit. Try to import the old catalog without video files and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines