• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem finding images after computer upgrade

Participant ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my computer, but kept all of my old hard drives and used them, including the one where all my photos are stored.  In the process the hard drive was somehow redesignated to a different letter.  I have attempted to re-import all the photos, and it has mostly worked.  It has imported several thousand images, but it has also missed some.  I tried to import a specific folder that no longer shows up in the library and it shows that it is on the drive.  I can view the photos in other programs, and LR has them ghosted because I have Do not import suspected duplicates checked.  So it thinks that they are imported, but when I conduct a search for them by name it will not find them, and as I said above, the folder does not show up in the list of folders.  I know that there are a few thousand photos which are not showing up, but are on the hard drive.  I happened to notice one folder, but I know there are several others.  How do I get them to show up again?  I am using Windows 10 Home.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Re-importing photos is a mistake.

All you had to do was change the drive letter to whatever it was previously, and Lightroom would then recognize all your photos.

If I were you, I would remove from Lightroom all of the photos you imported (but not remove them from the hard disk), and then fix the drive letter to be whatever it was previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-importing photos is a mistake.

All you had to do was change the drive letter to whatever it was previously, and Lightroom would then recognize all your photos.

If I were you, I would remove from Lightroom all of the photos you imported (but not remove them from the hard disk), and then fix the drive letter to be whatever it was previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be a great idea.  Problem:  I wasn't paying too much attention and don't remember for sure what that was.  I have somewhere around 6 drives.  Can you think of a way to find what that one used to be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic will tell you, its in the Library Module, under Metadata. If you hover your mouse in the field to the right of Folder, a pop-up appears which will tell you the disk letter and exact folder path where Lightroom Classic thinks this photo is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help on this.  If I follow your instructions on a photo that I can see it shows it as in the new drive letter, but I can't get lightroom to pull up the photos that is missing that might tell me the old disk letter.  Any suggestions on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went into the Library menu and found a menu item called "Find All Missing Photos".  Using that I was able to get LR to let me search and find one of the images that is missing and using your method above I found the Drive letter.  WAA HOO!  Thanks.  However.  You mentioned above that I should remove the photos that I have imported from LR, Yes I do realize that I do NOT want to delete them from the drive, how do I do that, before I change the Drive Letter?  Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mentioned above that I should remove the photos that I have imported from LR, Yes I do realize that I do NOT want to delete them from the drive, how do I do that

Yes, you need to remove them from your catalog. You select all the newly imported photos and then press Delete. A dialog box appears asking you if you want to Remove or Delete From Disk. Click Remove. DO NOT CLICK DELETE FROM DISK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course!  I'm a little embarrassed that I had to ask that last question, but I didn't take time to think it through.  Thank you for your help and patience.  As I type this it is removing the 26,000+ photos from Lightroom, then I will change the disk letter back to the previous one.  I'll let you know if everything works okay, or if I need more help.  

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for your help and patience.  Even though you probably thought I am an idiot, you were kind enough to not say so.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you VERY much.  It appears to have worked.  It looks like every one of my photos are back from looking at the count at the bottom.  And I double checked the folder and photos that first brought my attention to the problem and they are there.  

Thanks again for your time, patience, knowledge and attention!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines