Highlighted

Problem with book module

New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running LR Classic 9.2.1 on Windows 7 and have been using LR and the Book module for more than a decade, so I am familiar with the process. I have printed about a dozen books through Blurb. Until now, I make a collection of my chosen photos for a book, click on the collection, then click on the Book module and the book presents for editing with the collection photos on the filmstrip.

Now when I click on any collection and then the Book module, one specific photo book, from a completely different collection, always appears with its photos on the filmstrip. I cannot access any other photo book nor create a new one. If I click on a photo in this recurring photo book and hit "G" for "library" or "D" for "develop", it returns me to my original collection selection, not the photo in the recurring photobook. The links seem broken. I optimized the catalog and purged the cache to no avail. 

Prior to noticing the problem, I was importing and consolidating catalogs (per Scott Kelby on his May 2020 webinar) and one of the catalogs had a photo book. The collections from these catalogs imported fine but is there a problem with importing a catalog with a photo book? The problem may have been there before the imports but I only noticed it when I tested immediately after the import to see if the book imported. I have successfully exported a catalog with the photobook intact in the past. 

I'm baffled. Where are photo books stored? In the .lrcat file?

Any suggestions?  

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problem with book module

New Here ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running LR Classic 9.2.1 on Windows 7 and have been using LR and the Book module for more than a decade, so I am familiar with the process. I have printed about a dozen books through Blurb. Until now, I make a collection of my chosen photos for a book, click on the collection, then click on the Book module and the book presents for editing with the collection photos on the filmstrip.

Now when I click on any collection and then the Book module, one specific photo book, from a completely different collection, always appears with its photos on the filmstrip. I cannot access any other photo book nor create a new one. If I click on a photo in this recurring photo book and hit "G" for "library" or "D" for "develop", it returns me to my original collection selection, not the photo in the recurring photobook. The links seem broken. I optimized the catalog and purged the cache to no avail. 

Prior to noticing the problem, I was importing and consolidating catalogs (per Scott Kelby on his May 2020 webinar) and one of the catalogs had a photo book. The collections from these catalogs imported fine but is there a problem with importing a catalog with a photo book? The problem may have been there before the imports but I only noticed it when I tested immediately after the import to see if the book imported. I have successfully exported a catalog with the photobook intact in the past. 

I'm baffled. Where are photo books stored? In the .lrcat file?

Any suggestions?  

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a problem with importing a catalog with a photo book?

Not that I have found.  I just Exported a 'Saved Book' Collection as a Catalog, re-opened the new catalog, everything in the book was as expected.

Now when I click on any collection and then the Book module, one specific photo book, from a completely different collection, always appears with its photos on the filmstrip.

My thoughts and understanding:

This can happen when you start a new book by using any Folder or 'Standard' Collection of images and clicking on the Book Module from the top menu. Especially so if you 'jump' back & forth between these from the Module menu.

Until you create a specific "Saved Book Collection" to use, the book module has no definitive record of which images you really want to use in your new book, so it will 'pull in' more and more photos if you keep swapping back & forth - Book Module<>Folder/Standard Collection.

If the filmstrip has unwanted photos- Press  [Clear Layout], exit the Book module to Library, reselect your Folder or Standard Collection of photos, go to the Book module again.

Once you 'Create a Saved Book' with the option- 'Include only used photos' then you have a new 'Saved Book' Collection with your selected photos.

For this specific book you must now always re-open the book from the 'Saved Book' Collection (NOT a Standard Collection and the top Book module menu)

hit "G" for "library" or "D" for "develop", it returns me to my original collection selection,

Correct. The answer- create a 'Saved Book Collection' then it will return you to this specific 'BOOK' Collection in G Grid view or D the Develop module.

Explanations for the Book module idiosyncracies are difficult, but I believe that creating a 'Saved Book Collection' (as distinct from a 'Standard' Collection)  is the important factor.

Where are photo books stored? In the .lrcat file?

Yes. A specific type of Collection. A 'Saved Book Collection' with a 'Book' icon.

ScreenShot148.jpg

Always re-open a Book from this collection.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines