Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with importing to Synology Nas - Files get damaged

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

Since a couple of weeks I get some problems when importing my photos to my Synology NAS (DS1618+).

I am using a Macbook

In the beginning it goes well. All the photos are ok, but then when its starts to convert to DNG, then the files show purple lines and seems they are damaged. 

The strange thing is that it doens't happen when I import it to my local drive and then copy to the NAS.

I have tried different things. 

- Re-install lightroom

- Restart my NAS

- I even ordered a new hard drive (will be delivered today, but not sure if this is the sollution)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob,

I have tried these settings. But still not succes.  Also i have inserted some extra new HDD, but still the same result.

I'm getting the feeling it is a bug inside the system, since it was never an issue, but recently it pops up. And also with every import i do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried many things now without a succes.

Also contacted Synology and they have run some analyses and their conclusion was that this must be an issue with the software of Adobe (Lightroom classic).

Is there a way to report this to the engineering team?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not insert purple lines into photos. Simply not a feature of the program.

In fact, Lightroom Classic never changes the image portion of your original files. That's NEVER, a very strong word, because the designers of Lightroom Classic had it as a design feature not to write to the image portion of your original files.

In addition, all file move and copy functions are handled via calls to the computer's operating system, so although you may think Lightroom Classic is moving or copying the files, it is really your operating system's functions doing the work.

So, Lightroom Classic is not doing this. Purple lines are always hardware malfunction somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your answer.

The suspicious part is that it happens when Lightroom starts to convert to DNG.

I was also in doubt about the fact it would be Lightroom since it doesn't happen then I import on the local SSD in my macbook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system version are you running? Are you connecting over AFP or SMB? How is your network laid out (all wired or a wireless step in between)? I have a synology NAS where I store the bulk of my images and haven't experienced any corruption but there are reports in many places on Mac OS X corrupting files on NAS accessed over SMB. Big Sur now defaults to SMB connections which is good for speed but Apple's implementation is notoriously flaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Macbook operating system is:
mac OS Big Sur  version 11.3

My network is layed out by cable (Cat 6A) to a switch and from there to all the other devices.

It is all cabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried converting a few raw files on my synology NAS to dng and no corruption happens. Haven't tried it on import yet (I always import to internal drive first and only move over files to the NAS after a few months). I also never convert to dng as I don't think there is a sufficient reason to for me but I'll try to import to the NAS and convert to DNG upon import next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just turned off the SMB and only turned on AFP on the NAS settings. I am running now a test import to find out if there is any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported 55 images from my Z7 (so high megapixel large size images) directly to my NAS (connected through SMB) using "Copy as DNG". The images got imported nicely and converted to DNG without any corruption. My NAS is a DS418 running DSM 6.2.4. My Mac Book Pro is running Mac OS X Big Sur 11.3. Network topology is all cat 6 cables same as you connected to the NAS through a managed switch. I run two ethernet cables from the NAS to the switch and use link aggregation between the switch and the NAS but that is probably immaterial here.

Does sound like there might be a hardware problem somewhere unfortunately. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just finished importing the files to the NAS via the import function of Lightroom. 

I have turned off the SMB. And now it seems to work all fine.

So the sollution for now is:

Go to NAS

Configuration -> Files service -> Turn off SMB service and use AFP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you at least have a mechanism to avoid the corruption. In my testing I haven't seen any difference in speed between AFP and SMB for this. They both saturate the 1000Mbit/s links easily. I use the default SMB sharing but I haven't seen any corruption happening (knock wood).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines