• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with library filter

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The filter is not picking up all the images that has the same criteria. For example, I have nearly 100 hundred photographs with a title "Osprey". When I filter to find all of them using the criteria to search for osprey in any searchable field, its picking only 61 of them. the same thing is happening to many others. Where is the problem? Suggestions please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what do you have selected in the "Folders" and or "Catalog" areas in the left hand panel. The filter bar only works on the selection you have chosen in those areas and or in the "Collections" area.

Select "All Photographs" in the Catalog area and see what you come up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have selected "All photographs"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be stacking (the filter won't show stacked images that contain the criteria). Expand All Stacks, then try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unstacked. No difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if you can't filter them correctly how do you know there are nearly 100 images that should show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I know approximately when those other images were taken !! Incidentally, a number of other photos around the same date (October 2012) are also not picked up by respective filtering.

I have checked the integrity and optimised the catalog as well. No change.

Whats the exact function of the small padlock at the right end of the filter bar?

Should I install the programme afresh? I think its a problem with the catalog as the same thing is happening on my laptop as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The padlock on the filter bar controls whether the filter bar settings are sticky as you move the current source among folders.  Unless you have a very folder-specific workflow, it's usually easier to keep it locked, so the filter bar settings don't change when you change the current source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to triple-check:

1. Select All Photographs in the Catalog panel on the left.

2. Do Photo > Stacking > Expand All Stacks.

3. In the Library filter bar, make sure that Text is selected, but Attribute and Metadata are unselected:

If these steps don't help, please post a full-resolution screenshot of your entire LR window.  That often provides clues as to what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johnrellis for taking an active interest into this problem.

I have tried all you have suggested. No luck so far.

Here is the screenshot that you requested:

2016-11-08 (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am posting another screenshot with the search criteria "Morisset" which is one of the keywords. You can see the missing images of the Osprey (taken in Oct 2012) are present in this search. You can also clearly see that I have used the word Osprey as title in the images in both screenshots.

2016-11-08 (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now searched with a criteria that doesn't contain the word Osprey. The missing images from my original search are showing up now. I have checked the spelling and spaces, etc. Cant see any difference.

2016-11-08 (3).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Any Searchable Field contains osprey" returns 61 of 16209 photos.

"Any Searchable Field doesn't contain osprey" returns 16137 of 16209 photos, implying 72 photos do contain "osprey", a clear discrepancy.

I noticed in your first screenshot that you have Attribute selected, but it isn't selected in the second screenshot.  Click Attribute so that is not selected, and redo "Any Searchable Field contains osprey" (as previously described in step 3 in my post above).  Is there any difference in the result? 

While the first screenshot shows that none of Attribute controls are selected, I'm wondering if LR is getting confused by having Attribute selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another screenshot for your perusal. Doesn't make any difference weather the attribute is selected or not so long there is no control selected.

2016-11-08 (1).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting LR's preferences: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?25197-Resetting-the-lightroom-preferences-file-updated . There have been a few instances in the past where filters got screwed up due to corrupted preferences, and I'm wondering if that's what has happened here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johnrellis

I reset the preference - no joy. Then I have re-installed the whole programme - still the problem remains. In fact when there is no filter at all, the bar at the bottom shows "16198 of 16207 photos" even when All photographs is selected. It seems to be a tough bug somewhere in the catalog or the programme. As its happening in my laptop as well, I tend to think its the catalog. What do you think? Any further thoughts on how to resolve this. I am really stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the bar at the bottom shows "16198 of 16207 photos" even when All photographs is selected

Triple-check that you have done Photo > Stacking > Expand All Stacks -- that discrepancy is usually due to having collapsed stacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could upload your catalog file (the .lrcat file only) to Dropbox or similar and send me the sharing link in a private message. I won't be able to see the thumbnails or pics, but the metadata operations will work just fine.  I can poke around to see what might be going on with it, and perhaps suggest a workaround or details for how to file an effective bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sent a link to lrcat file in your personal message box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I examined your catalog, and you're definitely tripping over a LR bug. For example, I found 24 pics that contain "osprey" in the title that aren't returned as the result of "Title Contains osprey".  Some of these are:

D:/Pictures/JPEG Images (LR)/Australia 2012/DSC_9033.jpg

D:/Pictures/JPEG Images (LR)/Australia 2012/DSC_9037.jpg

D:/Pictures/JPEG Images (LR)/Australia 2012/DSC_9040.jpg

The only way I found of getting their Title field properly indexed is to select them, do File > Save Metadata To File, remove them from the catalog (without deleting from disk), and then reimport them. Of course, that will permanently remove them from any stacks, collections, or published collections they are in, which may not be desirable.

Things that didn't work: Doing Metadata > Save To File and then Metadata > Read From File. Exporting a new catalog.

You could file a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community . If you do, save a copy of your .lrcat file, give very precise steps about how to reproduce the bug, and offer to send Adobe a copy of the saved catalog. Adobe may or may not respond, and even if they respond, it will likely be months or years before they do anything.  But it could be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your continuing interest with my problem.

the problem is not with the search "osprey", its happening with some other searches too. The most that I noticed are with photos taken before 2012.

I imported my catalogue from Photoshop Elements Album to LR somettime in 2013. I have a suspicion that may be one reason that LR is not reading some of the filter criteria correctly. Any thoughts on that?

Your suggestion of saving the metadata and then removing all the images from the catalog seems like starting a new catalog all over. That will be quite a time consuming exercise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I imported my catalogue from Photoshop Elements Album to LR somettime in 2013. I have a suspicion that may be one reason that LR is not reading some of the filter criteria correctly.

It's very possible.  I recall someone else having problems searching photos that were originally from a PSE catalog. But that person was able to fix the problem by doing Save Metadata To File / Read Metadata From File.  But that doesn't appear to fix your problem.

Your suggestion of saving the metadata and then removing all the images from the catalog seems like starting a new catalog all over. That will be quite a time consuming exercise.

Unfortunately, I don't have any better suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines