Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with panorama merge

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to merge 20 images - 4 vertical rows of five horizontal images.  I am using Lightroom Classic and the merge- panorama- spherical command.  The images are from an M4/3 camera and are each 4592 X 3448 pixels.  I can easily merge the 5 images on one row resulting in a 15,020 X 3539 image.  When I try to merge all of the 20 images, a SUCCESSFUL PREVIEW results with the statement that all 20 images were merged.  When I then press the MERGE button, the program starts to merge but never completes even after 20 minutes.  Once there was an error message that "Creative cloud is needed to resolve this problem.  However it is missing or damaged.  Please download and install a new copy."  There is repair button.  I pressed it and Creative Cloud was downloaded and updated. 

Still I cannot merge the 20 images.  I believe the resulting image would be well below the 65K pixel width and 512MB total limit. 

My computer is fairly old 3.07 Ghz and 8 GB RAM. 

I'm not sure where or what the problem is. 

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Craig

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried other merging methods? I have merged as many as 24 raw images with a similar computer. Sometimes one merging method will fail while another will succeed. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim.  Yes I did try all three methods (spherical, cylindircal, perspective) if that is what you mean.  I did try boundary wrap.  I haven't tried auto crop yet, but that may not make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>My computer is fairly old 3.07 Ghz and 8 GB RAM. 

That's probably the issue. The panorama merging tends to get stuck on low memory machines. In that case, you should use different software to merge. I mostly use hugin for very large pano merges as it is way more versatile and higher quality than Lightroom or Photoshop but is hard to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I did have Hugin at one point, but never leared it.  I'm having a devil of a time learning Lightroom and Photoshop.  Yes, I suspect my computer just does not have sufficient memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 32Gb ram and i'm facing the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a maxed out Macbook Pro and Lightroom panorama merge is gettig dumber and dumber. I am taking flat hi rez photos of a painting and I used to be able to just merge 8 photos and it would automatically figure out the seams, now it can't even do two of them. I wish there was a way I could have some control over the process to at least tell what order to go in. The AI is so useful when it works but when it does not, the tyranical level of control is so frustrating. "Please Lightroom AI, please let me help tell you at least the rough order of things!" Ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If I remember correctly, that is not a possibility in Photoshop either. I doubt if that capability will be created for LrC before Adobe creates it for PS. They have always treated LrC as a distant cousin they would prefer to ignore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative cloud is needed to resolve this problem.  However it is missing or damaged.  Please download and install a new copy.

So, that issue first. Perhaps your copy of the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App is defective. As mentioned in this link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html

To uninstall the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App (do not simply reinstall it, do not simply use your OS to uninstall it) see the following link, make sure to read all instructions, note this link will guide you to another link:

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html

Then you will need to download a fresh new copy of the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App. Do not reinstall a copy you already have, just assume that one is defective. 

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/desktop-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you David.  That is quite involved.  I am not sure that is the issue, though it may be.  I'll try what you suggest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is fairly old 3.07 Ghz and 8 GB RAM. 

You may want to consider accomplishing the merge in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again David.  I am new to both Lightroom and Photoshop.  I went through the opening tutorial on Photoshop and have experimented with re-touching some images (e.g. removing lens flare).  I have no idea however on how to merge files in that program.  I can check out what is on the Internet about doing that.  Right now I haven't even figured out how to delete files from Photoshop. I looked at a couple videos on how to do that.  Geez - why so complicated? 

Well, I'll keep working at it and I do appreciate your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re in Windows, use Task Manager to see if it really is a RAM problem. Still, even though it could take a very long time, it should complete.

One way it could fail, especially with just 8GB RAM, is if the computer ran out of storage space for large temporary files. Watch free storage drive space during the merge, and see if it gets too close to zero.

The Creative Cloud desktop app needing repair is probably an unrelated issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad.  I'll give it another shot and monitor with Task manager.

One thought I had is to reduce the image size on the camera.  Maybe lower pixel images would be easier to merge.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, fewer pixels would be easier to merge. But I didn’t suggest that because I have been able to stitch panos of comparable size on my 2-year-old quad-core i5 laptop (definitely middle of the road in specs), so I thought your computer should be able to do it with the images you have if there is enough RAM and free space on the system drive. I have done several grid panos in the 12000 x 8000 px range. It takes a while but it gets done.

If you want to try merging them in Photoshop, select the photos in Lightroom Classic and choose Photo > Edit In > Merge to Panorama in Photoshop. This sends the images straight into the Photomerge dialog box in Photoshop. It uses different merging code with different options, with a different result:

• Lightroom Classic merges to a DNG file you can continue to edit using raw controls in the Develop module. Lightroom merges in the background.
  • Photoshop Photomerge creates an unsaved Photoshop document (no longer raw). Photoshop merges in the foreground so you can’t use Photoshop while it’s merging.

Photoshop may or may not do better. The Photoshop method also uses computer resources heavily and takes a long time, possibly longer than Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad.

I monitored the Lightroom process with Task Manager.  CPU usage varies between 6% and 97%.  Memory usage was around 88% but jumped up to 97%.  The computer eventaully locked up.  Yikes.

I then tried to merge 15 of the images.  I couldn't do this with even 15. 

Then I converted the images to B&W.  I had successfully merged 15 B&W images previously.  With the converted B&W images the panorama merge was successful, though using a lot of CPU and Memory monitoring with task manager.

The preview portion of merge must not require as much memory as the program will generate a preview fine with all 20 color files.  It just won't then merge.

I may have a solution.  I have a laptop with an Intel i5 processor that is upgradeable to 16GB RAM.  It is though only a dual core I believe.  I ordered the upgrade set from Amazon.  It should be here tomorrow.   Unfortunately it only has a 12.5" screen.  I am loading Lightroom classic on it now.  Maybe . . . ??

Thanks for the info on using Photoshop to merge.  If it indeed uses more resources, it may be just as problematic on my 8GB RAM desktop.  

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The locking up is unfortunately pretty typical for large panorama merges in Lightroom for computers with small memory. It is a known issue I am pretty sure and it really appears to not be able to swap data to the disk. Only solution in those cases is to up the computer memory or use other software (e.g. hugin is great) that is better at swapping out data. One major issue (of many) with the panorama merge in both Lightroom and Photoshop is that you have no control over the resolution at which the merge happens. It's really nice that you get a dng file from the merge in Lightroom though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the couple panoramas I have successfully made in Lightroom Classic have had good resolution.  That is after I received some help from people on this forum and learned more what I was doing. 

Yes I believe memory may be the main issue.  My desktop is from 2010 and could only be expanded to 8GB.  I have a laptop that is expandable to 16GB.  So I ordered the necessaary RAM cards for it.  I hope that works.  A quad-core with 32GB might be the best solution but they aren't cheap and refurbished ones on Amazon have a lot of poor reviews.  Hit or miss I suppose.

I mentioned that I did download Hugin a while ago before getting Lightroom, but never spent the time to learn to use it.  I wonder if it would function any differently on a small memory computer.   

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another thought, you have relative low RAM available then your operating system is likely to utilize swapping info on your Internal HDD. What is the capacity of the hard drive and how much free disk space?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denis,

The hard drive is 1 TB with about 550GB free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds fine.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success!  I think.

I upgraded my laptop to 16GB and installed Lightroom Classic.  It successfully merged 20 images in just a few minutes.  The resulting image is 10,856 X 8095. 

There was quite a bit of lens flare that I hope to reduce with a hood I have ordered.  So, I corrected some of it in Photoshop (with the only tool I know how to use so far).

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JypxZ8t.jpg[/img]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know that RAM was the bottleneck. Now we have a little more certainty about that advice, and it’s going to help someone else in the future in a similar situation.

Also, about the lens flare, it might help in Lightroom Classic to apply Dehaze to the lens flare area using a local adjustment, such as the Radial Filter or Adjustment Brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad.

I'll try your suggestions about lens flare.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines