• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems after migration of catalog to new hardware (Lightroom 9.0, Mac OSX 10.15.1)

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is related to an older post, Problems after migration of catalog to new hardware , but the solution wouldn't work for me.

After copying the structure and contents from an old external harddrive to a new one (same volume name), my LR Catalogs all open and display my photos just fine. All photos are present and can be opened in Finder. 

The problem i'm seeking help with, however, presents itself when I started to import new photos into any of my LR Catalogs.  The importing of the photos itself is not the problem: the photos are moved to the correct location on the HDD. The problem is that Lightroom diplays that newly imported folder of photos in a new HDD folder (without folder hierarchy), rather than in the existing HDD folder.

So I have two HDD Folders in my navigation pane, and all newly imported photos will be set up as folders in the new and identical HDD folder. There is a split.  See attached image.

The post I referenced talked about using 'update location' or 'find missing photos', but that doesn't work. My photos are all present. Dragging the newly created folder of imported photos to the original HDD folder structure doesn't work, because there is a folder with the same name already present (it is after all, the same location).

The nature of my migration is different. I had a RAIDED 4TB harddrive setup with LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 3. That reached capacity so I needed to swap the HDDs with bigger capacity ones, which I eventually succeeded in doing, giving me 8TB of storage. That process essentually copied whatever was on the old harddrives to the new harddrives. I have the old HDDs, but I cannot just connect them to the computer as I don't have a second LaCie 2big Thunderbolt 3.

Is there a way to just have one HDD Folder? That's all I'm asking. If it isn't possible, then I will just have to deal with the split. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried "update folder location" on the old filers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks jigras! I did try that and stopped when it just moved folders from the old Folder to the new. But now I realise that I must go through that process of updating locations. And it gave me an opportunity to remove a few levels of hierarchy.

Thanks for prodding me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

v9.1 may have addressed an issue with Catalina vs, Lightroom and extra Hard drive names.

( this might only relate to folders in source during import)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines