Highlighted

Problems with Lightroom and Nikon D780 NEF files

Explorer ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am facing problems from time to time with the NEF files from my new Nikon. This is not constant the problem, but changes (... without reason). Yestday I did edit some pictures and today wanted to continue. Alas I get the messag that LR can't open the files. But I did edit them before...?!?
I have the latest camera raw installed, if I look at updates all the programs are up-to-date. Anyone else facing the same problem? What is the solution?

TOPICS
Bug, Download and install, Import and export, Presets or profiles, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Problems with Lightroom and Nikon D780 NEF files

Explorer ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am facing problems from time to time with the NEF files from my new Nikon. This is not constant the problem, but changes (... without reason). Yestday I did edit some pictures and today wanted to continue. Alas I get the messag that LR can't open the files. But I did edit them before...?!?
I have the latest camera raw installed, if I look at updates all the programs are up-to-date. Anyone else facing the same problem? What is the solution?

TOPICS
Bug, Download and install, Import and export, Presets or profiles, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 07, 2020 1
Explorer ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw: I use Lightroom Classic 9.2 and Camera Raw 12.2.1 on a W10 platform with lots of memory. Other files no problem, so must be NEF related I think.

Btw2: My name is Dick, but Adobe refuses me to use that. I know that it's an English issue, but I'm Dutch! That name is very common in the Netherlands....!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files are supported in LR Classic 9.2 & the latest version 9.2.1

Have the NEFs ever been edited in Nikon software ?

Try launching Creative Cloud and update LR from the apps tab. Does that make a difference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanx for your reply!
I am using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 and Camera Raw 12.2.1, so do not have anything else than you mention. I did not use any Nikon software for these files. The strangest thing is that I could open and edit files yesterday, but this morning I could not?!?

After working on other things for some time I did download the LR program just in case, but the Creative Cloud tool says all my apps are up to date. Just before re-installing (and insecurity of all presets being at the same places, etc) I tried LR again and... I could edit the files without problems. Very strange....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I was able to work on the NEF files from my D780 again, so everything looked fine. But...
Now I just started LR again and the same problem. Irritating, not able to work on my files, search the Internet for solutions...
Is there someone from ADOBE reading these posts?
If so, please let me know how to continu without problems again and again!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem is intermittent it could be a hardware problem. Are the NEFs in the main Pictures folder? Or a connected external drive/card reader. If the latter, try copying the files to a folder or sub-folder on the main partition or try different card readers to eliminate possibilities.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the actual (i.e. verbatim) message you are receiving from Lightroom when you Cannot open the images? A screenshot of that message would be ideal. FWIW, I just downloaded a sample raw NEF file from that camera model and imported it and was able to do what ever I wanted with it. Using Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 on Windows 10 Home Premium. Need to know what that message is that you are getting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I captured two error messages. The first from the library screen. English must be something like "An error has occured with editing the picture".
ado-library.jpg

The second error message is from the develop screen. English must be "Can't find the picture in Lightroom".ado-develop.jpg

Note that the files were imported before. Also I did not change their location. A day earlier these files were (partly) edited, now I wanted to continue. Today I tried again, but although I can see them in the overview I get the same error messages.

Meanwhile I found a workaround. Just to re-install LR CC I downloaded the installation file. If I run that and LR starts I can work on my photo's. But now I do not want to spend much time on it, because I'm not sure if I can work on these later... If after closing the program I start this again by using the icon-link, the files are again giving problems...

Hope this helps you to understand the problem and even better: give a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That message would indicate that, although you still have the preview file that Lightroom generated, the actual image file is missing. Are you using Lightroom Classic or are you using Lightroom (for the cloud)? If using Lightroom Classic, did you import the image to an external hard drive that might be disconnected or is asleep?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

thanx for thinking along, but I could import and edit files at first. But when I wanted to continue the next day the problem showed up.

I am using LR Classic and am using the latste version (incl latest Camera Raw). The files are stored on the internal harddisk, next to my other pictures. These I can edit without problems. For me it starts to look like an LR setings issue: if I start LR via the button on my desktop I can't edit the files. But if I start with running the LR setup program I can edit my work. But next to this probably settings issue, this described problem only occurs with the Nikon D780 NEF files. Not with other pictures, not with other NEF files....

I also tried to re-import the files, but than LR says it already has imported these... ?!?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0