• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with Lightroom Classic catalog use corrupting startup disk

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having trouble with disk corruption on my Mac (running Mojave).  I have a Lightroom Classic catalog with over 500K images in it.  It used to run smoothly but over the past couple months I keep having my system performance slow down while using Lightroom until it's at a crawl, not only with Lightroom but is slow with other apps as well (Chrome, mail, etc.). 

When I run Disk Utility, it tells me the startup disk has corruption bad enough that I have to run it in recovery mode in order to repair it.  I've tried everything - I erased and reinstalled the operating system from scratch and clean installed Lightroom and every time it is apparent that the Lightroom catalog is the culprit.

The catalog does open and I've optimized it many times.  I see a temporary improvement after optimizing and running disk utility, but eventually it always happens again.  

Anyone have any suggestions how to repair the catalog so it doesn't keep happening?

I have my entire 15+ year archive in the catalog so starting a new catalog from scratch isn't really much of an option.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a COMPUTER Problem. Hard drive is failing.

It is NOT the LR Classic catalog that is corrupting your drive. It is the drive itself. It is failing.

The LR catalog is just a Database file. The only program that reads from it or writes to it is LR Classic.

The catalog file is no different than any other computer file on your drive. It is just a bunch of "Ones" and "Zero".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So normally I wouldn't repeat what someone else has said, but in this case it is worth repeating.

Your hard drive is failing. This has nothing to do with Lightroom.

If you don't have backups of everything on a different disk (why not?) then you need to make backups of your catalog file and photos on a different disk, immediately. That's IMMEDIATELY, meaning stop what you are doing and make these backups right now, no excuses. And once you have the backups on a different disk, test them to see if they work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi - Thanks for the imput but here's an update and it's defintely NOT a hard drive problem.  This was happening on different machines when using the same catalog. 

The corruption was in the catalog, and it ended up cascading to some file corruption within the system when LR would attempt to read it.  I created a new, empty catalog and imported the pix from the old catalog (this took a couple days).  I've been using the new catalog for several weeks now with zero issues and the problem seems solved... no issues, everything running smoothly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines