• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with the import of presets, don't find a solution here!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wasting eons of my life around my problems with Lightroom Classic and I'm really upset now. Dear English speaking people, please translate my message into English with www.deepl.com and answer me in English, I understand it very well. But I don't have the nerve to rack my brains even further and write in English now. I'm German, pay German money for these programs and I f*ck*ng want German language service for them. Sorry. I love you all, but please help me!

Klappte das Importieren von Presets (.lrtemplate) bisher (zuletzt Lightroom 4 auf meiner Arbeitsstelle) sehr problemlos mit Rechtsklick ins Vorgabenmenü -> Neuen Ordner erstellen -> Importieren, geht jetzt gar nichts mehr. Es gibt nur Fehlermeldungen. Ich sitze seit Stunden am Rechner und bekomme nur Fehlermeldungen: Fehler beim Import von XXX.lrtemplate - Die Vorgabe-Datei war der falsche Typ Vorgabe. Wenn ich einen Herd habe, will ich darauf die Mahlzeiten nach meinen Rezepten zubereiten. Und das klappt auch. Jetzt warten Tausende von Fotos auf meinem Rechner (Windows 10) darauf nach meinen gewählten Vorgaben bearbeitet zu werden und es klappt nicht! Ich habe schon kreuz und quer durch dieses Forum gelesen, aber noch keine Lösung gefunden. Die bisherigen Möglichkeiten funktionieren nicht mehr. Ich bin verzweifelt! Kann mir bitte jemand helfen?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translated

Up to now, importing presets (.lrtemplate) (most recently Lightroom 4 on my workstation) was very easy by right-clicking in the preferences menu -> Create new folder -> Import. There are only error messages. I've been sitting at my computer for hours and only get error messages: Error when importing XXX.lrtemplate - The default file was the wrong type default. If I have a stove, I want to prepare the meals according to my recipes. And that works. Now I have thousands of photos on my computer (Windows 10) waiting to be edited according to my chosen settings and it doesn't work! I have read all over this forum, but have not found a solution yet. The previous options do not work anymore. I am desperate! Can someone please help me?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

and your screenshot

davidg36166309_0-1593922016169.jpeg

Error when importing "1-Brown skin tint.lrtemplate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the icon in your screen shot it looks like you have a fairly new version of Lightroom Classic (LrC), perhaps v9.3?

You are attempting to install .lrtemplate format preset files. Back at Lightroom Classic v7.3, Adobe changed over to .xmp preset file format. Any existing .lrtemplate format presets you may have previously installed in the earlier version, got converted at first new start.

When acquiring new presets, they should be in the .xmp format.

Questionable if you can import .lrtemplate files, maybe some you can, others you cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

davidg36166309_0-1593922913584.png

davidg36166309_1-1593922913585.png

davidg36166309_2-1593922913585.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see: https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotography.com/blog/2018/4/managing-lightroom-presets-in-lightroom-cla...

Now in that  article,  towards the bottom, a solution  is to install and/or copy the .lrtemplate to the old folder location (shown  in  link) and than exit Lightroom Classic, and then restart Lightroom Classic, at that point the .lrtemplate preset will get converted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Importing presets causes many users problems -- it's frustrating to all.  Initial troubleshooting steps:

1. Please copy/paste here the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info so we know precisely which version you're running.

2. It's not clear from your description exactly what steps you're taking to import the .lrtemplate file.  The only way to import an old-style .lrtemplate preset is by selecting a photo, going to Develop, clicking the "+" button in the Presets panel, and doing Import Presets:

johnrellis_0-1593923050156.png

Try doing those exact steps -- does it work?

3. If step 2 doesn't work, upload the .lrtemplate causing the problem to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. We'll see if it imports into our LR correctly.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lieben Dank für die Antwort und fürs Mitgefühl. Mit manchen Presets, neueren, die auch schon im .xmp Format vorliegen klappt es, mit denen, die nur im .lrtemplate Format vorliegen, nicht. Hatten Sie mein angehängtes Bild mit der Fehlermeldung gesehen? 

Dies sind die ersten 10 Zeilen der Systeminfo meiner Installation von Lightroom Classic: 

Lightroom Classic-Version: 9.3 [ 202005281810-476e492c ]
Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Spracheinstellung: de
Betriebssystem: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19041
Anwendungsarchitektur: x64
Systemarchitektur: x64
Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 24
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 4,0 GHz
SQLite-Version: 3.30.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any old-style .lrtemplate preset can be imported into LR 9.3 -- it will be automatically converted to the new .xmp format.

Rather than manually placing .lrtemplate files into system folders using Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer, use the Import Presets command I posted previously. Too many people get confused trying to find the right folders into which to place the preset files.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

I tried this way. Didn't work. I get an error message : The import of "xxx. lrtemplate" failed. The preset file is the wrong type preset. File is from 2015. Worked with other, newer ones. But special characters are also not present in the older file names. I just do not understand it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upload the .lrtemplate causing the problem to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. I can likely figure out what's wrong with the .lrtemplate (or with LR).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the source for that preset?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vielen lieben Dank für eure Unterstützung! Ich habe das Problem gelöst. War ein dummer Flüchtigkeitsfehler von mir. Habe nicht richtig hingeschaut. Die ersten Templates, die ich importieren wollte, waren gar keine Develop Presets, sondern Local Adjustment Preset, also Brushes. Die finde ich jetzt auch an der richtigen Stelle. Und den Rest hat Lightroom gemacht. Jetzt sind alle Templates importiert und umgewandelt. Wunderbar.

Eure Nachrichten haben mich dazu gebracht, nochmal in Ruhe darüber nachzudenken. Jetzt verstehe ich den ganzen Prozess auch. Danke dafür und für eure Geduld mit mir. 🙂

Thank you very much for your support! I have solved the problem. It was a stupid slip of mine. I didn't look at it right. The first templates I wanted to import were not Develop Presets at all, but Local Adjustment Presets, i.e. Brushes. Now I find them in the right place. And Lightroom did the rest. Now all templates are imported and converted. Wonderful.

Your messages made me think about it again. Now I understand the whole process. Thank you for that and for your patience with me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad you got it resolved.  As I mentioned, importing presets causes lots of confusion, and LR is pretty bad at helping users understand what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines