Highlighted

Profiles converted from Presets do not match or are Inconsistent.

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done so much testing on this that I am now convinced that there is a significant bug in the conversion engine's design. The bottom line is that the Profiles are so inconsistent and random as to be meaningless. Here are all the symptoms I have experienced and (tested for):

So, as there several VSCO presets that I use a lot it would be very convenient to have them as Profiles. BUT

a) Adobe seems to have included Exposure and Temp/Tint as part of the Basic Panel, which is clearly wrong. In practical terms what this means is that if, say, I adjust the colour temperature of my 'base' image in Photoshop to be way off the Profile will be correspondingly way off. This, to make it even worse, is not reflected in the new Exposure reading in the new image (ie with profile applied) which instead reads the (completely different) colour temperature of the original image as captured.

b) Similarly for Exposure. If I deliberately expose my base image in Photoshop by 3 stops when creating my Profile, sure enough the Profile now adds in 3 stops of overexposure to the target image. But again, this isn't reflected in the new Exposure readout.

In summary, I am editing images having lost all points of reference. This may be acceptable to those who apply Profiles at the start of editing (I am sure there are many of you) but I always do it at the end so that I can make various virtual copies to compare preset or profile effects together.

But even if I could find a cumbersome workaround (make the Profile with a "guessed" average exposure and a fixed 'Daylight' temperature, for example) that wouldn't work either, because now I find:

c) that if I conduct my test on a like-for-like basis, eliminating all possible variables (ie by making a profile from a base image and then comparing the same image with the preset applied), they are different! Both temperature and colours are skewed in the Profile so as to make it bear liitle resemblance to the carefully crafted preset that VSCO created.

As you can gather, I'm completely at a loss here. Do you think Adobe should take a look at this?

Topics

Bug, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Profiles converted from Presets do not match or are Inconsistent.

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done so much testing on this that I am now convinced that there is a significant bug in the conversion engine's design. The bottom line is that the Profiles are so inconsistent and random as to be meaningless. Here are all the symptoms I have experienced and (tested for):

So, as there several VSCO presets that I use a lot it would be very convenient to have them as Profiles. BUT

a) Adobe seems to have included Exposure and Temp/Tint as part of the Basic Panel, which is clearly wrong. In practical terms what this means is that if, say, I adjust the colour temperature of my 'base' image in Photoshop to be way off the Profile will be correspondingly way off. This, to make it even worse, is not reflected in the new Exposure reading in the new image (ie with profile applied) which instead reads the (completely different) colour temperature of the original image as captured.

b) Similarly for Exposure. If I deliberately expose my base image in Photoshop by 3 stops when creating my Profile, sure enough the Profile now adds in 3 stops of overexposure to the target image. But again, this isn't reflected in the new Exposure readout.

In summary, I am editing images having lost all points of reference. This may be acceptable to those who apply Profiles at the start of editing (I am sure there are many of you) but I always do it at the end so that I can make various virtual copies to compare preset or profile effects together.

But even if I could find a cumbersome workaround (make the Profile with a "guessed" average exposure and a fixed 'Daylight' temperature, for example) that wouldn't work either, because now I find:

c) that if I conduct my test on a like-for-like basis, eliminating all possible variables (ie by making a profile from a base image and then comparing the same image with the preset applied), they are different! Both temperature and colours are skewed in the Profile so as to make it bear liitle resemblance to the carefully crafted preset that VSCO created.

As you can gather, I'm completely at a loss here. Do you think Adobe should take a look at this?

Topics

Bug, Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Have something to add?