• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS won't save JPG's in LRC

Participant ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to save some of my photos, edited in PS from LRC, in two formats, tif and jpg. PS will save the tif photos in LRC but not the jpg. So I have to try an import them again. LRC won't let me import unless I change the name so I have to change their name, import them and then change it back. This just started recently. 

I have over 500 GB available on my hard drive and my System is up to date.

Why did this suddenly start happening?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The LrC preferences offer two choices when saving from Photoshop, TIF or PSD. If you want a JPEG image then it's necessary to export a JPEG copy from that image or save it in Photoshop and then import it or synchronize the folder. The LrC preferences don't offer a choice for saving the JPEG. I suppose you could use the Photoshop "save as" option, but then that image would have to be imported or synchronized to make it part of the catalog if that is your goal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that were true I wouldn't be able to save back to LRC as a .png file which I can do.

And even if it were true I should be able to import from the HD swhere it was saved back into LRC.

But it won't let me import it unless I change the name. 

If I have a file in LR and it's name is ABC.tif and I want to edit it in PS. I I send it to PS as edit a copy in PS.

I do my edit and save it as ABC.jpg. It will save it back to the hard drive but NOT to LR. When I open the HD and try to import it it won't import. So I have to change the name slightly import it and then change the name back in LR.

Thank you for your comment.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John are you using Lr Classic 9.3 or the cloud version Lr 3.3?

The cloud version automatically creates a tiff file but saving a jpeg will create a new document unknown to Lightroom, like the tiff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using LRClassic 9.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

If you are truly using Lightroom Classic, you will want to modify your workflow.

• In LrC, "Edit in" Photoshop.
  • In Ps, make your edits, and close the file (choose to save your changes). Do not export or rename anything. It will automatically pass the updated file back to LrC.
  • Back in LrC, with the new file automatically imported from Ps, you can export as many copies and formats as you want.

The key here is not to export or rename or Save As from Photoshop, as that breaks the edit link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I do. But it won't save back to LR as a jpg and I can't import it unless I change it's name.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't designed to work that way. As I indicated previously, the saving options from Photoshop are TIF or PSD, and you need to choose one of those in the Lightroom preferences. If you want a JPEG then you need to export a copy of that image and choose the same folder as the destination, choosing the option to add that JPEG to the catalog if you want to see that JPEG image in Lightroom. If you do it that way then it won't be necessary to change the name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is describe above by Michael_J_Hoffman is NOT what you are doing.

What you are doing is in PS is selecting Save AS to save a copy as a JPG image.

What is descibe above it to NOT do a SAVE AS In PS but once the TIF is back in LrC you Export that TIF as a JPG. That way the exported file, a JPG, will be added to the LrC catalog and show in LrC.

Your problem with trying to import the Saved AS JPG from PS is more than likely caused by you initially shooting RAW + JPG, when you import the option to treat JPG as Separate files is not checked BUT LrC classic will still copy the JPG images from your card to your hard drive and make a reference to them in the Catalog file. It will show RAW + JPG in the Info section and the JPG will be listed as a Sidecar file in the Library module Metadata section.

2020-07-11 16_42_30-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

As there is already a JPG image with the name of the original file PS won't allow you to overwrite it and you must rename it.

LrC will also pop up a warning and ask if you want to Overwite, Skip or Use a Unique Name which if selected will add a -1 to the file name.

2020-07-11 16_48_50-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

davidg36166309_0-1594410489307.png

davidg36166309_1-1594410489308.png

davidg36166309_2-1594410489308.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hint, in my opinion, and the concept, edit in PS and save places a rendered file alongside the raw file.

A jpeg alongside a raw file is considered as a sidecar file so the option provided is tiff or PSD.

If you need a jpeg then you need to use save as and place in a different folder, then import as a separate file.

In the import process if you shoot raw + jpeg option in your camera and wish to import both raw and jpeg you need to select the option in Lightroom Preferences to ”treat jpeg files next to raw as separate photos”.

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 11.49.32 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that. BUT I'm NOT trying to change the extension on a raw file. They are tif files which I send to PS from LRC.
Sometimes I need to have a file in both tif and jpg. I click on a tif file in LRC and edit a copy in PS. All I do in PS is change the extension.
I don't change anything else. It will NOT save a jpg back to LRC. It will save png files.
It will only save them to my HD and when I try and import it back into LR it won't do it unless I change the name.
So I have a file with a name DSC123.tif in LRC. I click on edit a copy in PS. It opens in PS, I don't make any changes and I just save as DSC123.jpg. It won't save it to LR and it won't let me import it.
If on the HD I change the name to _DSC123.jpg I can import it back into LRC and change the name back to DSC123.jpg.
If I save it as DSC123.png it works fine and saves it to LRC.
The only jpg files that get saved back to LR are edited jpg files.
If I change the extension from tif or png to jpg it will not save them back to LRC and it won't import them unless I change their name.
Thank you for any help.
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you already understand this. Lightroom only offers two saving options FROM Photoshop, TIF and PSD. If you are trying to save a JPEG from Photoshop then it seems to me that you must be using the "Save As" command, and that particular option will not include the saved image in the Lightroom catalog. It will have to be imported, or the folder will have to be synchronized in order to include that file in the catalog. If I am not understanding what you are attempting to do then I apologize. I don't know what is happening with the PNG because I don't work with that format at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I did a simple test to confirm what Jim is saying here on my system.

I choose a folder with a single raw file and select "Edit in Photoshop 2020" tiff selected as the file type. In PS I made no changes and selected "save as" and it completed. In Lightroom Library module I now see the raw file and a new tiff file 16 bit 95MB. See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 1.56.01 PM.png

I then proceeded to open the folder where the Photos are located and three files are there the raw, tiff and jpeg (5.5MB)

See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 2.10.27 PM.png

Back in Lightroom I right click the folder showing the 2 files tiff and raw selected sync and the third file jpeg was imported into Lightroom. I was also able to do a normal Import > Add and achieve the same result.

See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 2.08.10 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines