Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish to Hard Drive extremely slow

Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

after trying Capture One for quite a long time, I started Lightroom Classic (10.2) some weeks weeks ago. I found that it got extremly slow, when I try to publish pictures to my hard drive.

Every single file takes about 20 to 30 seconds. Like this, it is unusable. My Macbooks fan ist turning and blowing like hell during the export. But also in general use it seems to have become slower than before and asking for mor of my Macs ressources.

I'm running a 2019 16" MacBookPr with i9, 32GB RAM and an AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB.

Any idea, how too fix this?

Deleteing the prefs and/or installing Lightroom again didn't work.

Regards

Philip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more information on the output files. That is, JPEG, TIFF, PSD, level of sharepening , size, etc etc. Info on originals would also be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. 🙂

• Source: Canon RAW (8192 x 5464) (EOS R5), Adobe RGB
  • Export to:
    • JPEG (sRGB, Quality 100)
    • Long Edge (don't know how it's called in the English versino): 2500px
    • Sharpening: None
    • Include all Metadata
    • No Watermark
    • JPEG Mini Addon (I also turned this one off, but that makes no difference)

I also deactivated the GPU acceleration, as I read in another thread/blogpost, that this might help - but it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I should be able to run a crosscheck with my r5 images using my 2019 16-inch MacBook. The specs are similar to yours, although I have 16GB ram and 4GB VRAM

In meantime, I'm taking around 3 second per image for EOS 5D MkIV images, and fans barely ran. That's not so say that R5 images won't be a lot more taxing on system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

45 Megapixel images will take longer to export than most other images. Should it take as long as you are experiencing? I don't know, but the fans running indicates the CPU is getting hot, because its doing a huge amount of work. It may also be that somehow the CPU is throttled back so that doesn't overheat and crash the computer, which slows things even further.

If you export the same number of images from an older camera with fewer megapixels, does the problem improve?

Also, the GPU does not affect export, as far as I know, its all done by the CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check ist with some older files.

Fact is: Capture One does the same export about 5 to 6 times faster and with nearly no need for the fans to turn up.

This should not become a rant against Lightroom/Adobe, it has many advantages, but the last really good performing Creative Suite I used on a Mac was CS4 or CS5, I guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture One is not Lightroom Classic. The comparison is irrelevant. It is programmed differently and does different things. I understand why you like the speed of Capture One, but Lightroom Classic is different, and has its own disadvantages and advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not completely irrelevant as it shows that the hardware performance of the computer is sufficient to handle the 45MP files without having to use the maximum of performance, as Lightroom seems to need them.

I wrote that Lightroom has many advantages, but if they mean slow work and constantly busy and loud fans, it is not really an option. Even running Lightroom without using it active (just showing the grid view of the thumbnails in a small test library with about 50 images that all got cached and "preview imaged") causes the fans to run quite noisy. So I suppose this is more a non-standard behaviour for which I can hopefully find a solution. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I had a few other tasks to complete. Anyway, I used the Publish to Disk option with the settings you specified to export 100 Canon EOS R5 images. The total time to complete the export was just over 6 minutes 17 seconds, which means the average per image was 3.43  seconds. I ran the test 3 times and give or take a few seconds, the export took to same time.  I was expecting the export to take slightly longer, may be 8-9 minutes, but even that would be no more than just over 5 seconds per image. The only thing I can think of as reason for the difference would be that you have applied an edit or edits to the images that really taxes the system whereas my edits are mainly Basic panel, lens corrections, sharpening and noise reduction. If you upload an XMP sidecar to the forum for one of your images, I should be able to copy/paste the setting into my test set and rerun the test.

In meantime, some metrics that might use to crosscheck your systerm with.

1. All tests run using battery rather than mains power

2. All cores maxed with CPU clock speed ranging from 3.25-3.33 GHz. It dropped to 2.8GHz on a few occasions for a second or so

3. Average CPU temp = 88 degC

4. Fan speed approximately 4400rpm and they weren't particularly noisy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's not completely irrelevant as it shows that the hardware performance of the computer is sufficient to handle the 45MP files without having to use the maximum of performance, as Lightroom seems to need them.

The algorithms are very different. You can't say performance from algorithm A ought to imply performance from algorithm B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines