Highlighted

Question about metadata-based text cells in Book Module

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC 9.2 on MacOS 10.14.6.

I'm working in the book module attempting to create custom pages with more than one photo and freely positionable metadata based text fields (such as caption) for each photo.
The original Photo Text objects won't work because aren't freely positionable.

The new "Photo Description" cells that were introduced (I think) with the custom layout are freely positionable and have a capability to add metadata based text.  So far so good.

It also appears that if I create more than one photo cell (right click -> add cell -> photo) then create as many photo description cells on the same page (right click -> add cell -> photo description), then the photo description cells appear to be asociated with the photo cells in the order they were created.  For example, the caption for the photo in the 1st photo cell created shows up in the 1st photo descrpition cell, etc.  If there are more photo description cells than photo cells, then the metadata fields only work 1:1 with photo cells.

However, there appears to be no way to modify or validate which descriptions are tied to which photos (other than adding photos to the page).

My question is whether this is actually a documented and supported feature or an accidental side effect that could go away in different situations or future releases.  I can find zero documentation or discussion on Adobe or the even web/video searches for metadata populated "photo description" cells. 

This is GREAT feature if it's real, but could turn into a waste of time if it isn't reliable or goes away.
Any decisive answer would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Don

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Question about metadata-based text cells in Book Module

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC 9.2 on MacOS 10.14.6.

I'm working in the book module attempting to create custom pages with more than one photo and freely positionable metadata based text fields (such as caption) for each photo.
The original Photo Text objects won't work because aren't freely positionable.

The new "Photo Description" cells that were introduced (I think) with the custom layout are freely positionable and have a capability to add metadata based text.  So far so good.

It also appears that if I create more than one photo cell (right click -> add cell -> photo) then create as many photo description cells on the same page (right click -> add cell -> photo description), then the photo description cells appear to be asociated with the photo cells in the order they were created.  For example, the caption for the photo in the 1st photo cell created shows up in the 1st photo descrpition cell, etc.  If there are more photo description cells than photo cells, then the metadata fields only work 1:1 with photo cells.

However, there appears to be no way to modify or validate which descriptions are tied to which photos (other than adding photos to the page).

My question is whether this is actually a documented and supported feature or an accidental side effect that could go away in different situations or future releases.  I can find zero documentation or discussion on Adobe or the even web/video searches for metadata populated "photo description" cells. 

This is GREAT feature if it's real, but could turn into a waste of time if it isn't reliable or goes away.
Any decisive answer would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Don

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 30, 2020 1
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Don,

I think you will have to write the definitive guide to adding photo and text cells in the book.

I did a little experimenting and have similar questions.

It seems that-

1) If a Photo cell is selected- a new added (single) 'Description' cell will reference the metadata Auto-Text for the selected photo cell.

It seems not possible to make a second 'Description' cell that uses metadata for the same photo cell.

2) If there are no Photo Cells (of multiple cells) selected- then each new 'Description' cell created will reference a Photo cell in the same order as they were drawn on the page.

So I guess the advice might be, if intending to use metadata in 'Description' cells: Add a Photo cell then immediately add its linked Description cell.

Like you, I do not know of any references to detailed instructions for this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGSTAgB2ukg

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2018/08/lightroom-classic-updates-book-module-import-presets-profiles-...

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.
From Laura Shoe (https://laurashoe.com) learn what's new in the Book module: freeform page layouts, trade books and magazines, photo borders and more. Enjoye...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2020 0