• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit in Photoshop" stopped working

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,Two days ago, the "Edit in Photoshop" suddenly stopped working. If not already open, PS is launched, and PS opens the dialog to open a file.

What I am trying to open is a RAW file, and apparentlt Lightroom does not pass the decoded file to PS, with as result that PS cannot open it.

I have tried all options and recommendations that I could find, but nothing works. I have the impression that the issue occurred after a BIOS and Intel driver update, but I cannot confirm.

I'm running a windows 10 PC, latest version of LR, PS and CR.

All of my files are on the local drive, one catalog, and LR did by itself add a few network drives where I store image archives.

How can I please resolve this issue? I'm a professional photographer and I have a few projects that I urgently need to finish. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After finding one other post I have resolved the issue. The was the path name, or better, the length of the file name combined with the path.

Is there any way of allowing a longer path name? My workflow is to first rename the images while maintaining the original file number, and to next edit them into PS, such that the final psd maintains the correct name.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maximum path names are usually set as a hard restriction. Furthermore, even if you're managing OK with lengthy overall paths (or another common issue is, unusual characters within file and folder names) - you may then encounter problems during backup, or onto removable media, uploading to the web, into another application... if that context happens to impose different restrictions. 

For that reason, I would regard this PS issue as a sign that you are already on the brink of a problem. I've noticed that some people like to write lots of text into their folder names on the supposition that this is more informative. When using Lightroom, this is IMO a second-best way to be informative about the photos. A folder name is just where something lives - this does not travel with an image when it is exported, for example. But something like a keyword does - and once you can use the keywording (etc) info to find images, it is then unnecessary (as well as less flexible) to write this same kind of info into the folder name.

When folder arrangements are kept purely functional and concise, path lengths seldom get out of hand. Also, later updating descriptive info within folder naming, or later reconsidering some complex subject-based folder scheme, means that a lot of path info is going to potentially get invalidated (with impacts for backup etc, too). But you can freely revisit metadata such as keywords all you like, without any such consequences.

But for now, as a least change, perhaps move the whole lot bodily "up" several folder levels within your drive volume? Doing this outside of LR probably works better. Assuming your image folders all sit nested within one common parent, these can be easily re-addressed within LR in one go - by just re-browsing for that one common parent folder, when you re-open the Catalog. The images within, and the relative relationships between all those folders, will re-find themselves automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Richard. The maximum windows path length is defined as 260 characters, and I'm getting this issue although I am well below the max, 68 characters file name included, so I must assume that this is indeed a hard coded issue in LR, and the developers have room to move if they want to.

As most likely this won't happen, I will indeed move my project folder a few levels up.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines