• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Edit In..." File Naming - Is There Only One Choice?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Topaz DeNoise, Sharpen, and Gigapixel plugins, accessed via the Photo > Edit In menu.  I noticed whenever I edit an image in one of these plugins, the system renames the file by appending -Ps to the end (just as it does when I use Photo > Edit In > Photoshop).  The -Ps is appended regardless of whether I edited the image in Photoshop or a Topaz plugin.

I know how to add new filenaming templates but I cannot find a way to associate them with more than one "Edit In" program.  I could not find a way to make it work from the Preferences > External Editing > Edit External Editing Filenaming field.

Perhaps there is no way to do this, so all edits via any plugin will have -Ps appended to it?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I use Lightroom Classic 10.3 on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer here.  Turns out there is only one choice for naming through the Photo > Edit In method.  However, I learned that you can set up the Lightroom Classic export dialog to open the image in another application, appending any naming convention you like, and save the edited image back to the same folder in Lr (or anywhere else you like).  You'll find detailed instructions (thank you "gerlos") at the bottom of this post:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/how-to-add-external-editor-name-in-filename-templat....  

Is there a better way to link to another post than using the URL as I did above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would argue that, unless you very often switch editing apps, instead of exporting (with automatically opening the file in another app), it might be faster to simply have different naming templates and go to Preferences to change it before "Edit in...".

MNiessenPhoto_2-1624950896660.png

Or, even quicker, just "Edit in..." with the default naming, then use the metadata to filter pictures edited with a specific app (it's in the Software field; you can create a filter preset or use a smart collection). Select the pictures you need to be renamed and then Library > Rename Photos (or press F2). From there, just select the name template you'd like to apply.

And that brings us maybe to the main question: Assuming that the name of each app used to edit is in the metadata (as it should), do you really need to rename the files in a specific way, given that you can easily find them in LrC thanks to the metadata?

Hope that helps,

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator ([moderator deleted the URL from the signature. Kindly note that URLs in the signature may be considered as spam])

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Michael,

For me, it's not about easily finding all images edited with a specific external program - I can't think of a reason I'd need to do that.

For me,  the appended name gives me the external editor history of the image I happen to be viewing at the moment, without having to leave the Develop module.  With only the default name of "-Edit" appended, I can't tell whether it was edited in Ps, Topaz DeNoise, Topaz Sharpen, Topaz Gigapixel, or etc., without additional steps outside the Dev module.

As for the export workaround, using "CTRL+SHIFT+E,  highlight the export preset I already made for the edit program, click Export" seems faster to me than "open Prefs, go to external export tab, select saved name, close Prefs, select Photos > Edit In > [edit program]."

Thanks for your info on searching by edit program - I learned something new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines