• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Make a Second Copy To" Revisited

Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched the internet for answers to my question regarding the "Make a Second Copy To" feature of Lightroom Classic import. I read the questions and some of the answers were totally irellevant to the questions asked. So, I am going to ask the question again: Why can't the folder names for "Make a Second Copy To" be formatted in such a way that the folders can be sorted by date? Know what I mean? If the folder name for the day of import was something like Imported on 2019-10-03 in lieu of Imported on Thursday, October 3, 2019, then all the folders in the import directory could be sorted by date. Please do not tell me the "Make a Second Copy To" is only for temporary use. That response would be totally irrelevant to my question. I would like to simply see the folders sorted by date, which would make it much easier to find the folder I am looking for. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like Lightroom uses the "long date" format as set in your OS?

For my 2nd copies I get folders like: "Imported on September-13-19" which matches the current Windows Long date format.

So updating this setting in the OS may get you close to what you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Name of month not good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I modifed the Windows regional setting for the "long date" format to yyyy-MM-dd. After I did this the 2nd copy folder now reads "Imported on 2019-10-03" I do not know if there is a equivalent setting for MacOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to import to any folder you desire. But, you may need to create that folder before the import. And you may need to add that folder in the folder panel, so that lightroom includes a reference to it in the database (the catalog) before the import. One warning, do not be creative in terms of upper and lower case letters. October would probably be fine, OCTOBER  might cause issues, especially if some are October, others as OCTOBER. (mostly a MAC OS issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The really unfortunate design problem with the "make second copy" feature is that it does not use the exact same folder structure as the primary destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. When importing into photos destination "by date" can be selected with additional date format options. That should also apply to the "Make A Second Copy To"" routine as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, makes sense then post a feature request in the appropriate forum.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/?red=a

Maybe you would need to have an additional drive with the same folder structure with a different Drive letter.!

If you had a duplicate similar folder structure on the same drive with duplicate folders and had a drive failure then you would lose both the original and the duplicate.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, changing file name to a date syntax.

Always forget, most people do not do this. Many pros do.

I always rename my photos, and I do this at import, to the syntax

YYYYMMDD_hhmmss

They get properly named via the capture date metadata. Works on MAC  as well as WIN, despite the issues on MAC OS with capture date metadata after import.

Any photos in the same second get a suffix number added by default.

I never ever have issues sorting my date as I can accomplish that by sorting by file name

Pros often do this precisely to control sorting by full date, and not having issues properly reading metadata to sort by date. Any other sort criteria is via keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines