• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Update folder location" incorrectly reports "No photos in selected folder" - when many do exist.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Lightroom Classic 10.3 on a 2020 iMac running MacOS 11.4. I needed to move my 303GB photo Main Catalog to a different SSD external drive.  In the Main Catalog there are 23 'top-level' folders each with a bunch of sub-folders. After the move of the Main Catalog I used “Update folder location” and 22 of the 'top-level' have successfully relinked - however the 23rd has not and I continually get "No photos at selected location". However I have checked (and re-checked) that the folder in question is correctly filled with sub-folders and the photos (RAW and JPEGs) within their respective sub-folders (see attached screenshot).

I have checked that Library / Show photos in sub-folders is correctly checked to show. I have restarted my computer several times with no change.

I am totally baffled by this and would really appreciate help to correct this - preferably without losing my edits - but if I have to recreate them that is ultimately no issue. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 16.41.44.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my post, above, the 23rd folder that will not re-link is "3_EVENTS" as highlighted in my attached screenshot (just for clarity). Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folder name is just part of the story. Update Folder Location also needs to find the exact photo file names in the folder you are trying to connect to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige - thanks - my 'add post' was just to show folks where the sub-folder and images were showing up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dj_paige - thanks - my 'add post' was just to show folks where the sub-folder and images were showing up.

You have not addressed my point. Update Folder Location does not work if the file names in the folder don't match what Lightroom Classic expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair point. The answer is that no photo names have been changed whatsoever and are totally the same as before. Thanks for thinking about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in the Folders Panel, is that folder shown?

A screenshot may be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 15.45.50.png

 In the Folders panel the 'problem folder' is the "3_EVENTS" immediately below the highlight shown in the screenshot here. I have tried the "Update folder location" for BOTH the parent folder (3_EVENTS) and the sub-folder "Americana 2010" immediately below it. 'No go' in both cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited to include screenshot

Two folders up. The true parent folder for what is shown, did you try updating from that folder?

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 11.11.21 AM.png

And, why does it include the word backup? Is this your working catalog, or a backup, If a backup, is iyt a backup via LrC, or a copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD (good to have a Legend on my case!!). The word "backup" is a red-herring here. I have had to do a major re-build of my 303GB photo catalog (which I feared I could have lost and all photo names etc remain identical to before) and so made multiple 'back-ups' in a number of places. In this case, I have subsequently renamed it to reflect the fact that it is now the Main Photo Library and it links fully correctly to LR - but the issue of the problem remains identical - 22 folders all work but 23 refuses... Thanks for thinking about my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in the Folders Panel, is the folder in your screenshots left column, shown as the Parent folder?

Did you select that folder when you went to update folder location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-07-03 at 15.49.47.png

This is the message when I select the Parent folder and try the "Update folder location" each time....

I came across this next post elsewhere on the forum and it seems a very similar problem but I can neither recall making an 'alias' (MacOS)  nor find one... I have tried shutting down other connected drives and even moving the Main Catalog to the same SSD drive containing the photo library. Still no joy... All the other 22 Parent folders are still fine and happy!

Screenshot 2021-07-04 at 17.35.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited to include screenshots

Not an Apple Guru, trying to lookup or remember what symbols/icons in Finder mean.

Specifically in third column, Americana 2010, the icon, Does not appear to indicate a Folder. Does it indicate a shortcut.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 11.00.57 AM.png

Moving on to your last screenshot, the one in LrC Folders Panel, Americana 2010 shows up as a folder, but that does not match up with the above.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 11.06.15 AM.png

Is a MACOS Guru online?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Responding:

1. I, too, wondered about the 'odd' looking icon but looking closely at it, it appears to simply be a 'picture placeholder' on the folder icon - some of the other folders have a copy of a photo from inside the folder to 'jazz it up' and this would have had the same but I presume that at some time I have deleted the photo in question which resulted in a 'generic icon' being put in it's place. I think it's irrelevant but I will insert a new photo in it, just to double check.

2. "Americana 2010" is one of the sub-folders containing photos under the "3_EVENTS" Parent folder. I'm not sure why the earlier "Americana 2009" is not showing in that screenshot, but I have taken a number of screenshots over several days and both "2009" and "2010" are real and sub-folders with photos.

I am, too, convinced that it is going to be something stupidly small.... but what? Again thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, wondered about the 'odd' looking icon but looking closely at it, it appears to simply be a 'picture placeholder' on the folder icon

If it still exists, what does selecting getinfo on it show?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/get-file-folder-and-disk-information-on-mac-mchlp1774/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Get info" on it shows nothing different to my previous reply about the difficulty in changing this 'picture placeholder'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange but the 'picture placeholder' in 'Americana 2010' was very resistant to change.  Only when creating a new sub-folder "Americana 2010-1" was I able to add a photo to the icon. However when changing the folder name back to "Americana 2010" the image reverts to the old generic icon... odd... but that has still not changed the Folder 23 problem. I have even tried removing the original "Americana 2010" to outside theMain Parent folder, but the same issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recommend that you post your problem over at the official Adobe feedback site, where actual Adobe Techs pay attention, and may reply.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872?cType=PROBLEM&page=...

If you do, please include a link in this community discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD. Excellent suggestion and I have been trying to submit a post for the past 45 minutes or so... Every time I go to load an image of the screenshot (in my orignal post here) in ANY of the listed formats and well under the max file-size it just returns the message "failed to load" (I have tried 10+ times in every listed format and on 2 different post-layout tabs... Without the screenshot it will be hard to understand my post. So, I finally decided to post just the text and request an email link to send the screenshot - hit the "post" button and just got a load of HTML in red evidently telling me that somewhere something was not permitted... Frustration!!

The HTML is:

<!doctype html><html lang="en"><head><title>HTTP Status 403 – Forbidden</title><style type="text/css">body {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;} h1, h2, h3, b {color:white;background-color:#525D76;} h1 {font-size:22px;} h2 {font-size:16px;} h3 {font-size:14px;} p {font-size:12px;} a {color:black;} .line {height:1px;background-color:#525D76;border:none;}</style></head><body><h1>HTTP Status 403 – Forbidden</h1><hr class="line" /><p><b>Type</b> Status Report</p><p><b>Description</b> The server understood the request but refuses to authorize it.</p><hr class="line" /><h3>Apache Tomcat/9.0.37</h3></body></html>

Screenshot 2021-07-05 at 15.21.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD again! Instantly after posting the above, I went back to your suggested link, logged in for one last try and "Hey Presto" it finally worked!! So please ignore my previous post!! The requested link to my post on the Adobe Feedback site is below. Thanks again!! Fingers crossed that I may get a reply.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/update-folder-location-incorrectly-re...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great,

Now in that posting, reccomend you add a reply, in that  reply provide a link back to this community page  discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just done that too, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines